Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now

dromine73

Hello, my question is this, can I become appointed with a P&C company if my main focus is health insurance? I currently have a main focus on Medicare Advantage and sups but I also do ACA stuff as well. I have had a few clients ask me about auto or home or renters. Is it possible for me to help them? If so what is the best approach?

Thank you.
Doug

You could, but I'm not sure how easy it would be break into P&C as a new independent.

If it were me, I would seek out a P&C agent who does not sell Medicare or ACA and work with that agent cross referring. He/she does the P&C you send them, you do the Medicare/IFP they send you.

In the long run I think you'd do better, make more money and build a better relationship with your health clients.

Just my $.02

Thank you Dave, do you find it easier to go to a local insurance brokerage or seek out maybe a SF or Allstate agent?

Thanks

I'd look for an independent agent first. SF, Farmers and others may sell in your market with offerings in individual health, life and Medicare Supplements.

I have an outfit called Horizon Agency Systems that would help in your situation with appointments etc etc... what I would do if you are comfortable with the products on the P&C side is look at an aggregator (with no non compete) like Insurance Noodle or Agent Secure etc etc where you can gain access to trusted carriers, and earn a bit of commission and consult properly with your clients. Once you have enough business there to get a direct appointment you can lose them and go direct. Not a perfect answer, but I hope it helps.

For the record, I am in WA and CA already so it shouldn't be long and we may get into Oregon but for now you could get started right away with one of those outfits.

Back