Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions

Reply to Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now     
Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

State: dromine73 is an Insurance Agent from Oregon
Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now
Hello, my question is this, can I become appointed with a P&C company if my main focus is health insurance? I currently have a main focus on Medicare Advantage and sups but I also do ACA stuff as well. I have had a few clients ask me about auto or home or renters. Is it possible for me to help them? If so what is the best approach?

Thank you.
Doug
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now
Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Guru
Dave020 on Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now

State: Dave020 is an Insurance Agent from California
Dave020 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now Re: Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now
You could, but I'm not sure how easy it would be break into P&C as a new independent.

If it were me, I would seek out a P&C agent who does not sell Medicare or ACA and work with that agent cross referring. He/she does the P&C you send them, you do the Medicare/IFP they send you.

In the long run I think you'd do better, make more money and build a better relationship with your health clients.

Just my $.02

Reply With Quote to Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now
Old 09-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #3

Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now Re: Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now dromine73 is the thread starter for: Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now

Thank you Dave, do you find it easier to go to a local insurance brokerage or seek out maybe a SF or Allstate agent?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Guru
Dave020 on Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now

State: Dave020 is an Insurance Agent from California
Dave020 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now Re: Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now
I'd look for an independent agent first. SF, Farmers and others may sell in your market with offerings in individual health, life and Medicare Supplements.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
Super Genius
BADTROUT on Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now

State: BADTROUT is an Insurance Agent from Colorado
Yes you can... what state are you in?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #6

Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now Re: Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now dromine73 is the thread starter for: Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now

I am in Oregon.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Super Genius
BADTROUT on Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now

State: BADTROUT is an Insurance Agent from Colorado
I have an outfit called Horizon Agency Systems that would help in your situation with appointments etc etc... what I would do if you are comfortable with the products on the P&C side is look at an aggregator (with no non compete) like Insurance Noodle or Agent Secure etc etc where you can gain access to trusted carriers, and earn a bit of commission and consult properly with your clients. Once you have enough business there to get a direct appointment you can lose them and go direct. Not a perfect answer, but I hope it helps.

For the record, I am in WA and CA already so it shouldn't be long and we may get into Oregon but for now you could get started right away with one of those outfits.

President/CEO Horizon Agency Systems (2017)
President/CEO DMV Insurance Services (2014)
President/CEO Rocky Mountain West Insurance (2005)

Have or want to build an Independent Agency?
Check Out: https://horizonagency.systems
Reply to Can I Be Appointed with P&C if I Am Selling Health Insurance Now 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions