Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions

Reply to Can I write a policy for someone from another state?     
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Expert

State: newglarusman is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Can I write a policy for someone from another state? Can I write a policy for someone from another state?
I have been contacted by someone from Illinois who wants me to sell them insurance. Can I write a policy for someone who lives in Illinois, even though I live in Wisconsin?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Can I write a policy for someone from another state?
eZLynx Banner New 2
Old 06-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
Expert
EdHead on Can I write a policy for someone from another state? - Insurance Forum

State: EdHead is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Can I write a policy for someone from another state? Re: Can I write a policy for someone from another state?
You will need to get an out of state license for Illinois. You can get it at National Insurance Producer Registry. I think IL is around $180 for two years. I live in northern IL and am planing on getting a Wisconsin license real soon.

Ive been told that you may also be able to have them visit you in Wisconsin and then sell them while they are in Wisconsin without a IL license but I would check that out with some of the experts on this forum.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 AM   #3
Guru
theinuranceguy on Can I write a policy for someone from another state? - Insurance Forum

State: theinuranceguy is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
theinuranceguy is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Can I write a policy for someone from another state? Re: Can I write a policy for someone from another state?
What Kind of policy are you trying to write?

I think, again I think, with life insurance as long as they sign the app in your state you can sell them the policy.

Hakim Insurance Marketing, LLC
Old 06-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Super Genius
TheSalesWolf on Can I write a policy for someone from another state? - Insurance Forum

State: TheSalesWolf is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
There's a loophole for Assurant without being licensed in that state. However, it's only a loophole and legally you need to be licensed in the state that your customer resides.

www.TheGeneralAgent.com

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   Which holiday is on Dec.25-th ? I agree to forum rules 

Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #5

State: Guest is an Insurance Agent from
Originally Posted by TheSalesWolf View Post
There's a loophole for Assurant without being licensed in that state. However, it's only a loophole and legally you need to be licensed in the state that your customer resides.
To expand on that. If you take the application over the phone, at the end of the online "ease" process, there's a line that says something like "state where application is taken" so many many agents and agencies, click the home state, your resident license.

This way they're good to go.

This has become a widely accepted practice and Assurant is not nearly as tight as GR/UHC so you won't go down in flames.

if you need assistance, I'm licensed there if that helps.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
Super Genius
Steve on Can I write a policy for someone from another state? - Insurance Forum

State: Steve is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Originally Posted by theinuranceguy View Post
I think, again I think, with life insurance as long as they sign the app in your state you can sell them the policy.
Typically this is correct. If they sign the app in your state you can sell them the policy, but then you can't retain and service the policy without a license in their home state, i.e., no residuals. You can't service them. (My understanding in Wisconsin...)

"Refried confusion is a-makin' itself clear" Dr. John
Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Expert

State: mousidd is an Insurance Agent from Texas
Yes, you can but there will be restrictions as described above.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Guru
theinsuranceman on Can I write a policy for someone from another state? - Insurance Forum

State: theinsuranceman is an Insurance Agent from North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to theinsuranceman
theinsuranceman is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
You either need a non-residence license in the proposed insurer's state or the proposed insured must sign the app in the state you are licensed. With Lincoln Heritage and Senior Life if the owner of the policy lives in your licensed state(s), and the proposed insured lives in another state you are NOT licensed in, you can still write it up. Of course there will be a phone interview with proposed insured reviewing health questions, address, etc.

If you sell FE over the phone you only need to record the owner over the phone and then hang up the phone and call the proposed insured and record their info. No wet signature needed.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Guru
Winter_123 on Can I write a policy for someone from another state? - Insurance Forum

State: Winter_123 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Winter_123 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by robliano View Post
To expand on that. If you take the application over the phone, at the end of the online "ease" process, there's a line that says something like "state where application is taken" so many many agents and agencies, click the home state, your resident license.

This way they're good to go.

WTF?

Nevermind what you can get away with. That is not legal. One of the reasons why you must establish where the applicant is at the time of the application is to make sure that the agent is licensed there. But the other reason is because you are establishing the state that has jurisdiction in regard to the laws, regulations, and complaints. Talk to your DOI. Don't rely upon what some zamboni in the carriers home office tells you. You are responsible for being compliant and they wont know you when an issue comes up.

Criminals like gun laws because it makes their job safer
Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
Guru

State: arnguy is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
arnguy is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Ditto, Winter! Excellent post.
Reply to Can I write a policy for someone from another state? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions