Captive Agent to Independent Broker

health330

This is my first time on here and I am pretty new into the business. I have been working as a captive agent for the past 4 months. I've been looking into transitioning into an independent broker and am looking at AIO, Stevens Matthews and HealthChoice One. Does anyone out there have any advice as to which would be a better path to choose? I need to make sure I make the right move this time.....any help is greatly appreciated!!

HCO seems great if you require support, or you can always go direct if you dont need any training or support or anything. pm me and we can chat

Really depends on your mindset. I found a non-captive agency to go with. It nice to have management to keep you motivated and bounce ideas off of. I started out on my own though. Felt like I was reinventing the wheel. I can pick up other carriers as needed.
I wasn't getting much support on the independent broker side with my direct contracts. Think I was supposed to actually produce sales to get support.

Thanks DJM, I sent you an email however I am not sure if it went through. I can not send PM till I hit 20 posts. I am currently in the process of contracting with AIO this week, however two other senior agents have recommended HCO, but not really going into much detail as to why they are better. I was fooled into believing that MEGA was the best thing since sliced bread and do not want to make a similiar mistake. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I am sure everyone can remember their frustrations when they first started.

just to give out some new information i came across....AIO hold you to a two year "non compete" if you leave. meaning you lose your book of business and can not contact anyone who is or used to be an AIO customer. Also you need a written release from them and can not sell Golden Rule for 6 months after you leave...and if thats one of your top providers you just shot yourself in the foot.

Health Choice One has no control over your book of business and does not try to ruin your life if you leave. So if anyone out there is new like me, HCO is the way to go if you do want to be truly independent but still have training and support to fall back on.

Thanks DJM, I sent you an email however I am not sure if it went through. I can not send PM till I hit 20 posts. I am currently in the process of contracting with AIO this week, however two other senior agents have recommended HCO, but not really going into much detail as to why they are better. I was fooled into believing that MEGA was the best thing since sliced bread and do not want to make a similiar mistake. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I am sure everyone can remember their frustrations when they first started.

My recommendation is to not do anything until you have thoroughly looked into all of the options lest you make a the same kind of mistake that so many have with MEGA, NAA, etc.

In my opinion it might be better to take some other kind of job for a while if you're unsure about what to do and need immediate income before you make a mistake that might put you further in the hole or may lock you into a non-compete, or end up contracting with an organization that won't give you a release if you decide you need one.

Typically the Marketing organizations that hammer Careerbuilder, Monster and other job boards the way that MEGA, NAA, AIO and others do are one's you're best served avoiding.

Last edited:
This is my first time on here and I am pretty new into the business. I have been working as a captive agent for the past 4 months. I've been looking into transitioning into an independent broker and am looking at AIO, Stevens Matthews and HealthChoice One. Does anyone out there have any advice as to which would be a better path to choose? I need to make sure I make the right move this time.....any help is greatly appreciated!!
Some good advice here. My personal experience with AIO was very positive. They are good, caring professionals who will treat you fairly and with integrity. As with any organization, they wrote their contracts with forethought and you should read what was written to be sure you understand. What's new about that, though?

Back