Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions

Reply to Captive to Independent. Can I Create my Own Entity?     
Old 08-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #21
Guru

State: scagnt83 is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
scagnt83 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Captive to Independent. Can I Create my Own Entity? Re: Captive to Independent. Can I Create my Own Entity?
Originally Posted by FLM2 View Post
Make up whatever scenario you like to satisfy your own internal need to feel like you are right but I never implied anything about a C Corp or anything else. I simply stated my choice, gave reasons for that choice, and suggested the OP consult with a professional.

If you want to give the OP advice in an area where you are not qualified by license or education that is your choice, do you do the same thing for your clients when they ask for tax advice?
I'm not giving advice. Advice would be telling him to choose one over the other, or to set up a 401k or not set one up. Im not telling the OP what to do. I am sharing facts about business entities and retirement plan contribution regs.

I stated FACTS about 401k contribution regs (they are the same for all 3 of the commonly used entities). Facts are facts.

I gave my OPINION about the pros/cons of the various types of business entities and how they affect an insurance agent or small business owner.

The OP asked for reasons to use one entity over another. You shared one of your reasons for choosing a C-corp. But that "reason" applies to all 3 main types of business entities. So it is not an issue that the OP needs to consider, as that "reason" is the same for all 3.

That's not tax advice, it's a fact about Retirement Plan Contribution Laws.
------------------------------------

Last edited by scagnt83; 08-08-2017 at 02:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote to Captive to Independent. Can I Create my Own Entity?
Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #22
Guru

State: thomasm is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
thomasm is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Captive to Independent. Can I Create my Own Entity? Re: Captive to Independent. Can I Create my Own Entity?
Focus on sales and building a book now. Worry about entities and tax strategies later.

Remember, if you do create an entity, that means dual licensing costs; an agency license and producer license. That starts to get expensive when you need to license 35+ states in order to generate enough lead flow online.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #23
Guru

State: scagnt83 is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
scagnt83 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Captive to Independent. Can I Create my Own Entity?
Originally Posted by thomasm View Post
Focus on sales and building a book now. Worry about entities and tax strategies later.

Remember, if you do create an entity, that means dual licensing costs; an agency license and producer license. That starts to get expensive when you need to license 35+ states in order to generate enough lead flow online.
Best advice so far. Nothing else matters if you don't have the sales.

Start as a sole proprietor and see what your income and cash flow is like. Then you have real life numbers to use to find out which business entity best suits your needs.
Reply to Captive to Independent. Can I Create my Own Entity? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions