Car Insurance in the US for a Foreign Vehicle

cyrax5710

Texas
Hi to all,

This is my first post on this forum, it's a quick question but I haven't been able to find information on it.

I own a Pontiac Torrent 2009 and it I want to buy insurance for it. The car is from Mexico and it has mexican plates. The problem is that I'm not sure if it can be done. I asked Pronto insurance if it could be done, and they said that they couldn't insure it because of the plates.

Does anyone know if it can be done?
Is anybody else in a similar situation?

Thank you for reading.

Hi to all,

This is my first post on this forum, it's a quick question but I haven't been able to find information on it.

I own a Pontiac Torrent 2009 and it I want to buy insurance for it. The car is from Mexico and it has mexican plates. The problem is that I'm not sure if it can be done. I asked Pronto insurance if it could be done, and they said that they couldn't insure it because of the plates.

Does anyone know if it can be done?
Is anybody else in a similar situation?

Thank you for reading.

Are you living in the States? If so, shouldn't you have to register the car in the county in which you live? At that point it wouldn't have Mexican plates any longer and you should have no problem getting it insured.

If its registered in Mexico, you will have a hard time getting insurance in the US for it. If its here permanently, it will need to be registered here. Then insurance isn't an issue.

If its not here permanently (or at least for an extended period of time), then you should be fine with your Mexican insurance, as long as it covers driving in the US.

Dan

Back