Closers versus Insurance Salespersons ???

myinsurebiz

I am what I am . . .
5000 Post Club
Here's the deal:

I am a closer - a salesman that can sell water to a drowning man - BUT - I'm not an "insurance" salesman and frankly don't want to have the headaches of getting appointed by the different companies, get certified with all the different companies, etc.

I or we ( the team I'm developing ) just want to sell and close the deals.

STIbroker showed me how to use ehealthinsurance to quote deals and such - but, we really don't care to get appointed with the hundreds of carriers - we just want to sell.

I have an idea of doing all the work, closing the deal and then forwarding the deal to a partner agent to sign off on it.

We are willing to give the "writing" agent 25% of the commissions created - or should I way - we are willing to do the work for 75% of the commission.

Writing agent will be responsible for oversight, training, accounting and servicing the client post sale. Any additional business provided us by the client in the future is split 75%/25% if we sell it or 25%/75% if the writing agent does.

We can get our closers licensed in certain states or even nationwide. Here in Georgia - we can utilize licensed "sub-agents" to handle the sales - without them having to test and such.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Tom

Here's the deal:

I am a closer - a salesman that can sell water to a drowning man - BUT - I'm not an "insurance" salesman and frankly don't want to have the headaches of getting appointed by the different companies, get certified with all the different companies, etc.

STIbroker showed me how to use ehealthinsurance to quote deals and such - but, we really don't care to get appointed with the hundreds of carriers - we just want to sell.

I have an idea of doing all the work, closing the deal and then forwarding the deal to a partner agent to sign off on it.

We are willing to give the "writing" agent 25% of the commissions created - or should I way - we are willing to do the work for 75% of the commission.

Writing agent will be responsible for oversight, training, accounting and servicing the client post sale. Any additional business provided us by the client in the future is split 75%/25% if we sell it or 25%/75% if the writing agent does.

We can get our closers licensed in certain states or even nationwide. Here in Georgia - we can utilize licensed "sub-agents" to handle the sales - without them having to test and such.

Thanks,

Tom

It sounds over the edge to me if you are closing them on a specific product and are just having an agent sign the app. If the client relies on your representations as part of his decision to buy and then you are compensated for it then you are acting as agent for that carrier and need to be appointed in my view. Also, how do you split commissions without being appointed with the same carriers as the writing agent.

Could be answers to these factors but they are what come to mind in a quick read.

Winter

Which health carriers allow for a split on an application? I've done it on life cases but not health.

Why not get appointed with them yourself and then hire someone at $10 an hour to do the followup. More commission for you???

Think of it as selling a "lead" that is already closed.

Here in Georgia, a person can be a sub-agent and assist a licensed agent in promoting their agency.

I've read a few carrier contracts - and can't find anything that says an appointed agent can't have "assistance" in closing the deal.

Each one of our closers will be licensed insurance agents in the States they wish to work in and each one will have their own E&O.

This seems to me to be no different than an agency that utilizes in-house administrative assistants to answer client questions and such.

However - I appreciate the comments. Thus my reason for posting.

Tom

Here's the deal:

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Since you asked for it...

As a seventeen year veteran of this business who has been blessed enough to evolve into a successful independent practice of my own, you quite frankly, strike me as a huckster who is better suited to used cars or perhaps as a "tin man", selling window and siding jobs.

Perhaps you should quit watching "Boiler Room".

I've lost count of the number of your ilk I've seen come and go over the years. To be successful for the long-term, this is NOT about "selling & closing" - it's about a longer term perspective called "advising". Your approach may be successful for some short term profits - but it'll never last. I've seen it time and time again...

First of all, it's illegal (at least in the State of Florida).In order to advise folks on this level you're suggesting, you (and your "team") must be LICENSED. Not just the person who "signs off on it". The first time I found this arrangement that you suggest, I would have a letter fired off to the Florida Department of Insurance, the Insurance Commissioner, and an investigation started before the business day was over.

Is it really that you don't want to get licensed and appointed, or you CAN'T get licensed and appointed?

I personally love to see people like you come into the business with your manipulative "selling & closing" model. It makes it much easier for me when I come in behind with my "client-building" model.

Chasing money may work in the short term - but only doing the best thing for the client - without regard for your financial reward - gets you the most money in the LONG-TERM.

It's called professionalism.

" Also, how do you split commissions without being appointed with the same carriers as the writing agent. "

In my thinking - the agent would receive the commission and pay us a "closing" fee which would be 75% of the earned commission and any renewals.

The "writing" agent basically receives a book of business that he / she wouldn't have gotten without our help.

The advantage for our closers is they could focus on selling rather than having to worry about all the paperwork and such . . .

Now - if there are regulations that make this concept impossible - then I guess we won't be able to do it.

But - I envision us having a licensed agent for each carrier in each State. They can be all the same person - I don't care, as long as they are appointed and pay us.

If the writing agent doesn't pay us - we'll send one of our "boys" by to say hello and then find another writing agent.

Like I said - I can't find any legalese in the various contracts that makes this concept unacceptable.

Tom

Too much liability for the agent. The way the plan is explained creates liability. No real career agent would ever take that offer.

Health insurance, also, does not need to be "sold."

Back