Commission Chargebacks - What Should I Do?

There is a certain career company to which I owe a small sum- not a huge sum- a few hundred bucks. They never ding my credit and they never have asked for it back...except in the initial letter dated like 2005- but if I ever apply at one of their sister companies they find the debt. I don't even think it is on vector. Maybe there is a threshhold of a certain amout, like $600 or so- where they start getting excited.

There is a certain career company to which I owe a small sum- not a huge sum- a few hundred bucks. They never ding my credit and they never have asked for it back...except in the initial letter dated like 2005- but if I ever apply at one of their sister companies they find the debt. I don't even think it is on vector. Maybe there is a threshhold of a certain amout, like $600 or so- where they start getting excited.
Sounds like you acknowledge the debt but aren't losing any sleep over paying it.

It has to be over $400 to get on vector. Also the company has to be a member of Vector and they had to add you to the database.

At any time the company, imo or members stops paying vector and is no longer a member, you will come off vector also.

I am going to open a dead thread here,
I worked for United American in 07, left in 08 and received notice in Sept. 0f 2012 that I owed them money, really? it took this long to figure it all out? Now other agents are contacting me that they too are getting letters.
Love how these companies operate, I offered a payment of 100 bucks a month and she said UA cannot accept less then 250.
Nice, they say I owe 1900 bucks and when I ask to show me when the customers dropped off they can't, they can only show me what they paid me, hmmmm.

I am going to open a dead thread here,
I worked for United American in 07, left in 08 and received notice in Sept. 0f 2012 that I owed them money, really? it took this long to figure it all out? Now other agents are contacting me that they too are getting letters.
Love how these companies operate, I offered a payment of 100 bucks a month and she said UA cannot accept less then 250.
Nice, they say I owe 1900 bucks and when I ask to show me when the customers dropped off they can't, they can only show me what they paid me, hmmmm.

Some of these companies are slime ball.

Some of these companies are slime ball.

Even the "reputable" ones can be once you leave a career contract. I was charged back on first year commissions that were over two years old and the policy was still in force... lol. How a chargeback was created for that I have no clue. But they tried to send me a bill for it once I left!

Isn't there a time limit these Insurance companies have to abide by?

I sold Medicare Supplements for United National & was terminated back on 3/1/2005.

Yesterday I received a letter from them, (over 12 years later), wanting nearly $800 in alleged commission advances.

This is news to me & I have no records left to refer to. How can they legally wait
that long to present such a claim?

Isn't there a time limit these Insurance companies have to abide by?

I sold Medicare Supplements for United National & was terminated back on 3/1/2005.

Yesterday I received a letter from them, (over 12 years later), wanting nearly $800 in alleged commission advances.

This is news to me & I have no records left to refer to. How can they legally wait
that long to present such a claim?

I'm not sure there is a time-frame, but the company should be able to send you proof of the debt. If you don't think you actually owe it then you can dispute it with Vector. UN would have 30 days to respond with proof. If they don't, then you will automatically come off of Vector.

Legally, the debt (assuming it was valid at some point) never goes away. Effective means to collect the debt fall under various statute of limitations, usually 4 to 7 years, depending on the state.

At this point, they cannot report it to credit bureaus (including, I assume, Vector, but vector tends to make up rules on their own). They can file a lawsuit against you, but you can just claim that it is time barred and that puts an end to it. If you don't say its time barred, then they could potentially win, even at any point.

Ask for proof. Don't acknowledge the debt, don't pay a 'dollar' to keep it from being processed, anything. Claim it isn't yours and act as such till they prove otherwise.

Normally, I say pay the debt you owe, but someone coming up that old is a slimebag and they know its not collectable. They are just hoping for some people to pay without thinking much about it.

Dan

Back