Commissions Paid in Full or Monthly?

mdl

Do carriers pay commissions immediately/up front when a insured pays his or premium or are they paid out on a monthly basis? for home, auto and life?

Thanks!

Do carriers pay commissions immediately/up front when a insured pays his or premium or are they paid out on a monthly basis? for home, auto and life?

Thanks!

Life - if the premiums are paid monthly you are paid monthly unless you are on an advance. Then you could get 6 to 9 month advance usually. There are some variations like monthly direct, Direct Express or credit card payments.

Nonstandard auto tends to be as earned, some larger ones pay in full. Standard auto and home pay in full as written. I actually prefer as earned so I'm not messed up by chargebacks, and makes my monthly income more predictable. Hate having a huge month followed by a stinker and just barely covering expenses, ya know?

I prefer as earned and do that even if annual is offered. Why? Chargebacks are a bad word, and like many agents, if I kill an elephant one month I tend to feed off that elephant for the months following rather than continue hunting. As earned keeps me hunting every month.

If you're wondering if I lack self control about annualized commissions the answer is yes. So I purposely do as earned. Know yourself and your habits. This is also why I bottle my beer rather than keg it. A keg would be like having your own slurpie machine in your house.

A lot of life companies have switched to advance. I prefer this because I have only had a few charge backs in six years. On auto and home I have never dealt with a company that didn't pay in advance. This is where most cancellations come from.

A lot of life companies have switched to advance. I prefer this because I have only had a few charge backs in six years. On auto and home I have never dealt with a company that didn't pay in advance. This is where most cancellations come from.

You don't sell enough life insurance them ;)

That's a joke people, I'm just funnin the guy

No I sell the right kind to the right people that's the difference about 40k in premium a year.

Back