Considering a Career Change into Insurance... Question About Commissions

Hi all,

First off I apologize if this is being posted in the wrong section. I am new here to the forums. But a little background, I'm 22 years old with a background in Law Enforcement / Public Safety. I've worked as a dispatcher for 3 years and I'm starting to get burnt out already. The stress and schedule of this job is making me have a poor outlook on life (and people, in 3 years I've dealt with enough stupid to last a lifetime) as well as have bad work/life balance and I'm really considering heeding others advice (people I work with, my bosses, etc) and getting out while I'm still young enough to make a career change. While my job would be considered by some to be a "good job", and yes it does "pay the bills", it does just that: Pay the bills. And honestly as a dispatcher, thats probably all it will ever do. It would be very hard to make a living and support myself being a dispatcher for a career. I'm realizing that I need to start advancing myself and building something that I can support not only myself, but a family in the future and provide a good life for me and them. My goal was to move out of dispatch and become an officer, however with the schedule I currently have now and most other schedules in this line of work, it would be impossible to attend a police academy and still work full time, hell even part time. I figure if I get into a more normal "9 to 5", I can attend an evening police academy should I still wish to be an officer.

My best friend is a sales manager at an agency for Allstate here in Ohio. He does very well for himself, especially only being 22. He's worked in insurance for about 2 years. His success is definitely making me consider this line of work.

Currently I have an interview scheduled a local State Farm for Wednesday. My buddy says SF does not have as good as commission as Allstate. Is this true? Working for SF starting out selling P&C what should I be making in commissions? What about Allstate or other insurance agencies? My buddy also told me to consider going to an independant agency because thats where you make the most commission.

Also, I know some may comment on my reason for getting out being stress, and you will probably tell me insurance sales is also stressful. I understand that, but the stress of someone's life in my hands vs. making sales is very different, and I'm sure most can agree they'd rather have the stress of making sales vs. someone's life. Every job has its own stress that comes with it, that's the nature of being employed.

Many thanks in advance for your replies,

Jeff

EDIT: after searching the forums some more, I've realized this should maybe be posted in the "Getting started selling insurance" forum. Is there any way a moderator could move this for me please? My mistake.

Last edited:
I am not in the P & C space so I am of little help to you regarding you question about commissions. However, you made a general comment about being stressed as a dispatcher when peoples lives are in your hands, but yet you want to take night classes to be a police officer. FYI, that's even more stressful! Not only do you have other peoples lives in your hands but you also have yours and your partners. My best friend of 50 years is a detective, my nephew is a cop. You want to hear stories of stress!

I respect the fact that you want to pursue law enforcement, but my recommendation would be to focus on a career in the insurance industry. You are right, you are young and the opportunities available to you in this industry are endless. Best of Luck.

John, thank you for your comment. I think I want to do the police thing just part time, maybe a day a week or a few days a month, something like that.

But yes, I am realizing now getting into a "normal" job would be good for me.

A little update: My first interview went really well. The agent had me take an aptitude test and I must have scored well because he called me on Friday saying he was "very impressed" with our first conversation and asked me for a second interview. Fingers crossed!

A little update: My first interview went really well. The agent had me take an aptitude test and I must have scored well because he called me on Friday saying he was "very impressed" with our first conversation and asked me for a second interview. Fingers crossed!

One thing to understand quickly is if you can breathe, they will be very impressed. Hiring in insurance is a numbers game. Success rate is about 10% after two years, which means 90% don't make it.

Consider what is happening as going out on a date. You will be wooed quite heavily, things will be said that aren't really true and you may feel violated after a while. Just be aware just about everybody is "impressive" until the hire date. Then after that if you're not cutting it in 60-90 days the relationship sours.

Insurance sales and service is a stressful job as well. Different kind of stress from where you were at, but stress none the less. Remember to look around, talk to other people besides the recruiter. Trust your gut. Lots of promises made in this business to get agents signed up, discount what you're told by about 50%. Good luck.

Also, if you score well on the "career assessment", it means that the agency will be given support funds from the home office. But if you don't score well, the agency may still bring you on board, but without those funds.

Those funds are NOT a salary, but usually a bonus on top of your commissions.

Its funny you bring those points up about assessment scores. In 1983 I interviewed with a very large insurance company. I was also given an "assessment test" or whatever they were called back in the day. They called me back for a second interview and told me I scored poorly on all aspects of the test. They did not foresee me being successful in insurance as a career, I did not have the qualities to be able to run my own agency and did not fit in with their company. I think I have been hanging around in the industry and building our agency for the past 34 years just to piss them off.

I believe the same things happened to both Ben Feldman (NYL and greatest insurance salesman) and Mehdi Fakharzadeh (Met Life). Both of them had speech impediments of their own - Ben had a lisp and Mehdi has a rather thick Iranian accent.

MDRT Nothing Is Impossible Excerpt

Of course, these two insurance greats are part of the exception, rather than the rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
While my job would be considered by some to be a "good job", and yes it does "pay the bills", it does just that: Pay the bills. And honestly as a dispatcher, thats probably all it will ever do. It would be very hard to make a living and support myself being a dispatcher for a career.

Most people I've met their consumption expands to meet their income.

If you aren't able to make a living and support yourself currently.....

Back