Desperately Need Door Knocking Advice

nick713

Hello, I'm seeking advice from other agents who have been successful door knocking. Im dressing presentable and clean, I am good at reading people and talking with them. but I'm running into a problem not me nor any other agent can figure out. I'll knock on someone's door I'll say on the lines of "hello my name is nick I'm with so and so company and I live Over on so and so street (which is true and close to where they live) I have many clients in the neighborhood that I do their life insurance for their families, so I am stopping by to see if i can help you with your life insurance as well.
So thats generally what I say of course there's people who aren't interested and such, but here's the part I'm having issues with... I'm finding people who genuinely seem interested then it seems I can't get ahold of them after that meeting or I do and then they lead me on only to ignore me. I'll have people give me their numbers and we either call or text to set up an appointment. they either don't respond or they do respond then blow me off only to not respond again. I am knocking enough in the past two weeks I've knocked roughly 1000 houses sold hardly anything. I've found people interested but cannot sell a policy to save my life.

What are you selling - FE or fully underwritten term/WL, etc?

If you're with a captive career agency, you might want to read this thread in detail: http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...g-forum/d2d-l-h-annuities-tracker-t88391.html

There are two major factors to succeeding in door knocking:
1) Engage people in conversation by asking open-ended questions
2) Focus on solving problems that your products help to solve, rather than just "selling products".

People don't buy insurance. People buy people, and people buy solutions to their problems.

I'm a broker in Houston selling final expense, term, fully underwritten term, accident policy's

----------

What can I say to people that will be more effective?

First, your script is completely ineffective:
""hello my name is nick I'm with so and so company and I live Over on so and so street (which is true and close to where they live) I have many clients in the neighborhood that I do their life insurance for their families, so I am stopping by to see if i can help you with your life insurance as well."

Let me give you two script ideas and a forum link, and then you'll probably want to search out the Final Expense forum for other people's ideas.

First, the other forum link: http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...cussions/guide-cold-door-knocking-t86225.html

With your product-mix, I wouldn't set appointments for the future. I'd just look to get their attention NOW and see if I can show them what I've got and let them judge it for themselves and buy NOW.

Two script ideas:
"In 5 minutes, I can show you how you can get CASH paid directly to you in the event of an emergency. It's quick, easy, and hassle-free."

"You know how health insurance pays doctors and hospitals when you get sick or hurt? Well, our policies pay YOU. I only need 5 minutes to show you what I've got, and you can judge it for yourself."

Aside from that, you'll want to search out the Final Expense forum and get their ideas.

"What's in it for them" is missing in your presentation.

So what that you have clients in their neighborhood.

So what that you would like the prospects to talk to a salesman.

Just like on the phone, you have a precious few seconds
to get their attention with something that makes them
curious, fearful or doubting.

Focus on a major problem.

And, think about another way to market. I've done
door knocking. It's extremely hard. I probably get
7-9 people a week knocking on my door. So, what
separates you from the others?

Good luck. Take the advice and read the links from
DHK who always gives good, constructive help to
other agents. We're lucky to have him on our forum.

Last edited:
Great advice from DHK. I'm a P&C guy, not L&H. Years ago, I wrote an article for P&C newbies starting out in personal lines I called "Doorknob Marketing." This was a sample doorknob hanger:

http://www.independentagent.com/Edu...PDF/Miscellaneous/DoorknobMarketingSample.pdf

The idea was to spend some money printing up plastic or weather-resistant hangers and pay some teenagers to hang them on doorknobs at every apartment and condo unit in town, starting small and growing if results are good. A producer shouldn't be spending his or her time doing this...a lot of people HATE door to door sales, so this takes the pressure off.

Sell an inexpensive, but quality, renter's policy. Go for the auto if possible, now or later. Get a relationship started. These people may ultimately own homes and businesses.

I'm a broker in Houston selling final expense, term, fully underwritten term, accident policy's

----------

What can I say to people that will be more effective?
as a home service agent in tx for decades myself { debit agent, door knocker} you are probably not going to sell door to door with term and accident. well, accident maybe to tire shops and mechanic shops. you really need a whole life, final expense type product for most neighborhoods, which I see that you have. And it's not very effective to door knock in wealthy neighborhoods or gated communities, as stated in other threads. I keep my opening line way short, like, "hello, I'm so and so. who do you have your life insurance with?" that's it. real short and sweet.

Hello, I'm seeking advice from other agents who have been successful door knocking. Im dressing presentable and clean, I am good at reading people and talking with them. but I'm running into a problem not me nor any other agent can figure out. I'll knock on someone's door I'll say on the lines of "hello my name is nick I'm with so and so company and I live Over on so and so street (which is true and close to where they live) I have many clients in the neighborhood that I do their life insurance for their families, so I am stopping by to see if i can help you with your life insurance as well.
So thats generally what I say of course there's people who aren't interested and such, but here's the part I'm having issues with... I'm finding people who genuinely seem interested then it seems I can't get ahold of them after that meeting or I do and then they lead me on only to ignore me. I'll have people give me their numbers and we either call or text to set up an appointment. they either don't respond or they do respond then blow me off only to not respond again. I am knocking enough in the past two weeks I've knocked roughly 1000 houses sold hardly anything. I've found people interested but cannot sell a policy to save my life.

You "or any other agent" can't figure out that this is the norm?

Get with an IMO that knows how to sell what you are selling. And has agents selling what you are selling. Learn from those that do.

Do not listen to the people on this forum that do not sell.

Or, keep spinning your wheels. Your choice.

Back