Do Agents Have to Do a Lot of Customer Service/issues?

I'm sorry, I just don't believe someone can write 100 clients in first month in bushiness if done compliantly.

I would have a hard time believing even if it was done not compliantly but that could at least be possible and would explain the customer service overload.

When I first started in this industry -- brand-new -- I did everything myself. I was just starting "a business" and therein lies the problem. Most people don't understand that you are in business for yourself. That said, I was in the life and DI business. Occasionally, a group health plan opportunity would pop up. Let's forget about the latter.

I was prospecting and seeing a lot of people, but only working on a small # of cases/lives per month. I took care of all service related issues -- payments, billing, electronic drafts, changing bank accounts, etc. I was provided "an assistant" who did some basic service work, but for the most part it was me.

As my business grew, more support was provided to me and for me. As it grew more, I hired my own staff person. And then another. At a certain point I handed off everything, all service work, to my staff person. I had to. I was supposed to. At a certain point, you shouldn't be doing that -- as you should be seeing more people, producing more, selling more, etc., and further growing your business. It's the old adage of paying someone to do the stuff you shouldn't be doing so that you can do more of what you should be.

If you are selling 100 people a month, and you are brand new, congratulations. You should be making enough money to hire someone. If you are not, either something is wrong, you are in the wrong market (point of diminishing return), or you need to bite the bullet and hire someone so that it does pay for itself and you can be more profitable.

Lastly, you are not supposed to sell something and never hear from them again. Nonsense no, but service work needs to be done.

im new to insurance, sort of but not really. new to really selling to many clients at once- let's say about 100 new clients a month and dealing with non-stop issues, problems, people calling in constnatly with issues, situations...its the most frustrating thing. I can't just sell to a client and they'll never contact me again. I'm being contacted daily by at least 5-6 customers for billing issues, other things...one customer is emailing me 3-4 times a day "i need my ID cards" then "they wont take my ID" then it's "i need to cancel my plan this doesnt cover my birth control medication." i mean I find it to be too much. Is it normal for these customers to be contacting the agent for any little thing?? How can an agent even deal with this...do they just tell the customer to call the company?

It is non-stop issues, problems. Then you do a good job of selling them a good plan and they won't leave you alone. It's almost akin to harassment in some cases...some clients are just out there...they expect the agent to do all the calling for them...one female, she signed up with me, then moronically, talked to 10 other brokers, had one come to her house and even HE told her to call me b/c i had the best option for her...then she calls me like an *** and asks me 1000 questions about the plan that she alraedy signed up for....and she keeps asking the same question over and over and over again..omg...as if shes being scammed and has to make sure...then keeps asking...its absurd...then she finally pays for it... another woman has too asked me hundreds of questions and even trying to verify that im legitimate...then more and more people calling in at the sign of every little issue..billing questions, this that...do agents hire assistants to take care of this stuff??? is this common??? my question really is...is this normal? do all agents have to deal with this and if so, how do they deal with it?

i get the feeling that, if someone else sold them a plan, they'd leave the broker alone but b/c its me im getting bombarded with nonsense..but i could be wrong...is this just the aspect of being an agent

Having read the first and last paragraphs of a few of your post have you considered a different job? Give it serious concideration.

When you wrap up a sale, do you set expectations at that time?

"You'll get your ID cards in 7 to 10 days and your policy in the mail about 2 weeks from now as well. I'll be calling you in 2 weeks to schedule the policy delivery and make sure you've received your ID cards. In the meantime, here is your temporary coverage receipt."

(Just a guess. I've never sold individual health insurance and only did 1 large group health plan several years ago, so I don't know all that is involved for that.)

But the more that you tell people what they can expect, and you UNDER-PROMISE the dates of deliverables and OVER-DELIVER on your promises, and your 'panic calls' should be reduced.

If you 'over-sell' everything without disclosing what they can expect, then you can expect panic calls and emails from your customers.

im new to insurance, sort of but not really. new to really selling to many clients at once- let's say about 100 new clients a month and dealing with non-stop issues, problems, people calling in constnatly with issues, situations...its the most frustrating thing. I can't just sell to a client and they'll never contact me again. I'm being contacted daily by at least 5-6 customers for billing issues, other things...one customer is emailing me 3-4 times a day "i need my ID cards" then "they wont take my ID" then it's "i need to cancel my plan this doesnt cover my birth control medication." i mean I find it to be too much. Is it normal for these customers to be contacting the agent for any little thing?? How can an agent even deal with this...do they just tell the customer to call the company?

This is a sincere question: Did you ask enough questions during your fact-find to ensure that what they want covered would be covered by their new plan? These questions are essentially FEEDBACK that you didn't anticipate certain needs during the fact-finding process. You may need to ask more questions about their medications, etc., to ensure coverage.

It is non-stop issues, problems. Then you do a good job of selling them a good plan and they won't leave you alone. It's almost akin to harassment in some cases...some clients are just out there...they expect the agent to do all the calling for them...one female, she signed up with me, then moronically, talked to 10 other brokers, had one come to her house and even HE told her to call me b/c i had the best option for her...then she calls me like an *** and asks me 1000 questions about the plan that she alraedy signed up for....and she keeps asking the same question over and over and over again..omg...as if shes being scammed and has to make sure...then keeps asking...its absurd...then she finally pays for it... another woman has too asked me hundreds of questions and even trying to verify that im legitimate...then more and more people calling in at the sign of every little issue..billing questions, this that...do agents hire assistants to take care of this stuff??? is this common??? my question really is...is this normal? do all agents have to deal with this and if so, how do they deal with it?

At some point, you need to reverse the questioning so that you are asking the questions instead of answering them.

"You're asking a good question. Let me ask you this: let's suppose this plan covered that... what would that mean to you? Would that be enough to help you purchase this plan, or should we keep searching?"

Again, I don't sell health insurance, but you've got to gain control of these situations.

i get the feeling that, if someone else sold them a plan, they'd leave the broker alone but b/c its me im getting bombarded with nonsense..but i could be wrong...is this just the aspect of being an agent

It's the aspect of being a NEW agent and not knowing advanced selling and questioning skills. Some questions help you advance the sales process... while others help you prevent future situations as you're experiencing.

You could probably benefit a great deal by reading this book: Amazon.com: You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar, 2nd Edition: Sandler Training's 7-Step System for Successful Selling eBook: David Sandler, David Mattson: Kindle Store

The old adage is that 20% of your clients will generate 80% of your work, and vice versa.

Some of that 20% are more pleasant to deal with and have minor service needs in the grand scheme. The trick is weeding out the ones that are major PITA and cost you more than they're worth.

The old adage is that 20% of your clients will generate 80% of your work, and vice versa.

Some of that 20% are more pleasant to deal with and have minor service needs in the grand scheme. The trick is weeding out the ones that are major PITA and cost you more than they're worth.

Part of me thinks its not a bad problem to have, having a minority of clients that are such a drag on your time that they aren't worth the business. I have to think that's a sign that you've made it in this business when you've got so many clients that you can afford to tell some of them to take a hike.:yes:

Then your first concern is to set expectations.

Do it in person. Your confirmation emails will be largely ignored or forgotten. That is a time suck it sounds as if you can't afford anyway.

Back