Do Not Call List

joshril

Guru
1000 Post Club
Ok... I'm sure most of you remember back to the days before the DNC list.. Well, my wife has been telemarketing off GoLeads for me and for some reason the Goleads software was messed up today.

She tells me that since she couldn't call GoLeads, she started calling residential numbers out of the phone book when I expicitly told her not to several weeks ago... At any rate.. she claims she only called around 20 but left about 5 messages and I'm sure her messages were not compliant...

Am I sunk?? She also did not track the ones she has called so I have no way to run and see which ones were on the DNC list...

What should I do and how worried should I be??

The only thing you can do at this point is wait and hope nothing happens. Cannot undo it. If it was only 20 calls, don't worry yourself sick about it. If someone gets really upset (of the 5 or so messages), they will probably call you first to complain - just let them know that your ex wife made the calls. Good luck - I think you will be okay.

Yeah.. after a little reading I may have overreacted... It looks like the FTC has only acted against pretty large scale violations.. Even if someone did file a complaint I think I could explain the situation and thing would be ok, but who knows... thinking about a possible $220,000 liablity is scary..

Hey Josh, I think you should contact that guy who used to be on the old board who sold Pre-Paid Legal. Isn't $25 a month worth it for peace of mind? Also, you could have your wife plead temporary insanity.:D Seriously, I agree with BKrocko that the chances of anyone filing a compaint are probably slim to none; however, a prayer may be in order. As Bkr said they would probably call you back to complain----I don't think there are many people who would go to the trouble of filing a formal complaint.

Hey Josh, I think you should contact that guy who used to be on the old board who sold Pre-Paid Legal. Isn't $25 a month worth it for peace of mind? Also, you could have your wife plead temporary insanity.:D Seriously, I agree with BKrocko that the chances of anyone filing a compaint are probably slim to none; however, a prayer may be in order. As Bkr said they would probably call you back to complain----I don't think there are many people who would go to the trouble of filing a formal complaint.

Damn... should have bought that prepaid legal!! You're probably right... I noticed anyway that the FTC has only filed like 57 actions since 2003 anyway... out of over 1.5 million complaints.. I'm thinking worst case would be a cease and desist order.. The only thing that concerns me is you know what they say about women? She said she's only been with 20 cold contacts but usually it's 3 times as many as they will admit to.. :twitchy:

In the event your wife, dog, neighbor etc. every wants to use the Phone Book...one word......Don't...It is not worth the hassle and hopefully this is a lesson learned.

Have her go to Reference USA and she can look at all the free leads she wants for free and they are scrubbed via the DNC list.

At the very list, you are now entitled to one night out with the guys without any comments.

In the event your wife, dog, neighbor etc. every wants to use the Phone Book...one word......Don't...It is not worth the hassle and hopefully this is a lesson learned.

Have her go to Reference USA and she can look at all the free leads she wants for free and they are scrubbed via the DNC list.

At the very list, you are now entitled to one night out with the guys without any comments.

Trust me... she learned her lesson!!! The one night out deal actually seems pretty fair... good idea! I did get one pretty good lead from her illegal marketing though..

Back