Do You Have a Local Agent?

iaminsman

Expert
Just curious if some of the life/health only agents follow the same advice they give. As a life/health agent we/I always recommend that my clients have an actual "agent"(me!) to use as a resource when making decisions regarding coverages, claims, etc.... But do we also take the same advice when it comes to our own property & casualty coverages.

The reason I am asking is I am currently insured with State Farm for my auto and home. I was doing some research online and found a couple of other company's that provided the same coverage for a lower premium. I went in to talk to my local agent about changing and he made the same sales pitch that I would have made about having a local agent who knows the area, personal relationships, etc.

So, I have not changed my coverage because I do feel like an personal hometown agent can be a very valuable benefit. Is it worth it to pay more for that service? If I am the agent, then YES!

So, how does everyone else feel about this? And if you don't mind being with a company that you have to call the 800# and talk with another representative, why don't you feel your clients shouldn't do the same thing??

Yes, I use a local independent agent. In my opinion your mistake is using a State Farm agent who is captive and can't really shop your rates for you.

I've had the same State Farm agent for over 20 years. I moved out of the area for a while, State Farm wanted to put me with another agent and I said I would cancel if they did. I kept him as my agent and now I am back in the area again.

It's not State Farm that I favor, it's the relationship I have with my agent that is important to me. Saving money is important but it is the quality of service I receive from him that overrides the money I may be able to save.

I try to instill that same feeling in my clients.

I am really glad that this is the case.... I had a real hard time even considering to go the online way, but I agree that I want a local agent...

I think that a local agent most always brings value in some form or another to buying insurance, as long as they are an independent agent whom is not locked into just one carrier.

We have local state farm agent for home and auto, that really doesn't deserve out business. We contacted our agent, the GA underling, regarding life insurance for the whole family. In the time it took fo them to get back to me, I got a job at NYL and started my own insurance career. My rep did tell me how state farm works, and told me how they were compensated - very low, unless she was lying - and I learned a bit about NYL from them as well. Seems to bit a bit of bad blood amongst the big players.

For my fledgling agency it's all about local relationships for the best clients. The branding process for the business stems directly from the community of which i am a part, so the idea of having a local agent is what I am counting on in the beginning. There is a P&C agent around the corner near a harley dealer, runs an office out of his house...he's on a main road. I plan to talk to him about a strategic relationship, soon.

I had the same local independent agent for 17 years. My accountant said I was paying too much. So I asked them to shop it for me. Gave me a quote just a little lower than I was paying. So I went out and got quotes myself from another independent and about 4 of the captive's w/ local offices. The independent's was one of the highest! I ended up going with one of the local captive office's. Independent doesn't necessarily mean better...it boils down to the agent and the carriers represented.

I also called Progressive since I see their commercials every 5 minutes...terrible experience.

Back