Does "Door to Door" Work Anymore?

gradyinsurance

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I haven't ever used "Door to Door" selling, but back when my father was in the business (70's-80's-early 90's), it was used quite a bit. Nowadays, I try to work with referrals and telephone marketing, as well as a little bit of advertising. It works okay, but I was wondering, If I went and tried to market "Door to Door" to residential areas, selling life insurance, would it have a higher success rate than telemarketing the same products?

Thanks,

Dave

I did it for about a year and had good success about ten years ago with simply introducing myself. Gave them a card and said I just insured your neighbors home for him, if you ever see anything out of the ordinary while he's away, don't hesitate to call me. Worked great then..... not so sure about today though...might get pepper sprayed

I did it for about a year and had good success about ten years ago with simply introducing myself. Gave them a card and said I just insured your neighbors home for him, if you ever see anything out of the ordinary while he's away, don't hesitate to call me. Worked great then..... not so sure about today though...might get pepper sprayed

That little tidbit is what worries me. With the world in the shape it's in these days, people are scared of opening their doors to strangers. Furthermore, how do they know that we really are insurance agents, and not looking to rob them. Or scam-artist, looking to steal their identity. Those are the reasons that I am not so sure about door to door selling. It is really a shame that society has come to such a state that people like us, trying to provide a legitimate service, have to come under so much scrutiny, for just trying to do our jobs.

Dave

That little tidbit is what worries me. With the world in the shape it's in these days, people are scared of opening their doors to strangers. Furthermore, how do they know that we really are insurance agents, and not looking to rob them. Or scam-artist, looking to steal their identity. Those are the reasons that I am not so sure about door to door selling. It is really a shame that society has come to such a state that people like us, trying to provide a legitimate service, have to come under so much scrutiny, for just trying to do our jobs.

Dave

Yes, these are the problems of our day and age. You may want to consider a shift in thinking to some more modern marketing methods. Pick up a copy of Seth Godin's "Permission Marketing".

If you're actually willing to spend time going residential door to door I'd just slap up well-written door hangers. In town home communities you can slap up over 200 per hour. You'd talk to just a bare fraction of that amount if you knock on the doors.

I ran a door to door outfit doing energy deregulation and it took us 8 hours a day to knock on enough doors to earn decent money - every daunting.

If anything, you have a shot on weekend days actually knocking. After dark is a no-go and during the day hardly anyone is home.

If you want to do some BtoB during the day that's more effective since you're talking to a lot more people then knocking on residential doors.

And although any type of BtoB or door to door can be effective it's nothing that's gonna play out long term. It's useful to help get new agents off the ground for next to no money but after you're established there are much more productive things to do with your time.

Okay, I'll try and get a copy. I guess my thinking as far as marketing goes is pretty dated, probably due to most of the guys I know in the business are in their 60's-70's, and they use the same dated techniques. I suppose its time for a change.

Dave

If you're actually willing to spend time going residential door to door I'd just slap up well-written door hangers. In town home communities you can slap up over 200 per hour. You'd talk to just a bare fraction of that amount if you knock on the doors.

I ran a door to door outfit doing energy deregulation and it took us 8 hours a day to knock on enough doors to earn decent money - every daunting.

If anything, you have a shot on weekend days actually knocking. After dark is a no-go and during the day hardly anyone is home.

If you want to do some BtoB during the day that's more effective since you're talking to a lot more people then knocking on residential doors.

And although any type of BtoB or door to door can be effective it's nothing that's gonna play out long term. It's useful to help get new agents off the ground for next to no money but after you're established there are much more productive things to do with your time.

Well, I've always heard that to get referrals you had to have referrals. So, that having been said, I have seen that once you get established, this business gets a little bit easier. Satisfied clients are willing to give referrals, but you have to have clients for them to be satisfied, so I suppose that direct marketing's job is to get your feet wet, so to speak.

Dave

Latest posts

Back