Does Time in Business Equate to Being an Expert?

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have noticed on this forum that most agents equate time in the business as knowledge and expertize. I have a couple of questions though:

1. If an agent has been in the business, for let's say 30 years, and has sit around and rested on his laurels, never taking the time to learn and grow, is he smarter than the guy that has been in the business a 1 or 2 that has invested hours and hours of time learning?

2. Can a tiger change his stripes? Are there agents that have been in the business for years, that are just as dumb as a box of rocks?

3. Can agents be successful in their first year of business?

4. Is it possible for and agent that is completely new, let's say 1 week in the business, to be a better salesperson and closer, and more motivated, than an agent who has been in the business for 10-50 years?

5. Are some people simply smarter than others?

6. Are some people more dense than others?

7. Do you know agents that have been in the business for 20 years that just don't seem to have a clue?

8. Does time doing a certain thing make you an expert, especially if you are not good at it?

These questions don't necessarily have to apply to insurance. Think about sports, education, life, etc.

Last edited:
That's a lot of questions. I'll answer Number One. One would assume that a 30-year guy that is "resting on his laurels," still must be gathering knowledge each year to be halfway successful, so I'll side with him.

Compare him to someone with 3-5 years in the business that is a go-getter, and a sponge for information...well, then I might side with the new guy.

There becomes a point where time doesn't make a difference. Do I know more about addition than my 8 year old son? We can both add 8 + 10 correctly but I'm 42. If I studied addition for 10 more years would I become better at 8 + 10?

You can dig in...really dig in and become a student of the game - memorize the plans, know all the exclusions and limitations, get a copy of the policies and read 'em front to back, etc....

Within I'd say a year you have a great grasp on underwriting; knowing which carriers take what kind of actions for which conditions.

I'll take an agent who cares and has actually read every policy he/she offers over an agent in the field for 10 years who's never read the policies.

Yes, you'll always be learning - always. I learn new stuff every week.

That said, if you really have a thirst for knowledge for individual health, you won't know that much less after 2 years than someone who's been at it for 20 years.

Also, time in the biz has nothing to do with ethics - or I'll point out agents who have been writing with substandard captive carriers for 15 years.

Last edited:
There becomes a point where time doesn't make a difference. Do I know more about addition than my 8 year old son? We can both add 8 + 10 correctly but I'm 42. If I studied addition for 10 more years would I become better at 8 + 10?

You can dig in...really dig in and become a student of the game - memorize the plans, know all the exclusions and limitations, get a copy of the policies and read 'em front to back, etc....

Within I'd say a year you have a great grasp on underwriting; knowing which carriers take what kind of actions for which conditions.

I'll take an agent who cares and has actually read every policy he/she offers over an agent in the field for 10 years who's never read the policies.

That said, if you really have a thirst for knowledge for individual health, you won't know that much less after 2 years than someone who's been at it for 20 years.

Also, time in the biz has nothing to do with ethics - or I'll point out agents who have been writing with substandard captive carriers for 15 years.

I am referring to people who specialize in one thing.

That pretty much sums it up.

1. If an agent has been in the business, for let's say 30 years, and has sit around and rested on his laurels, never taking the time to learn and grow, is he smarter than the guy that has been in the business a 1 or 2 that has invested hours and hours of time learning?

Probably not

2. Can a tiger change his stripes? Are there agents that have been in the business for years, that are just as dumb as a box of rocks?

Yes

3. Can agents be successful in their first year of business?

Yes

4. Is it possible for and agent that is completely new, let's say 1 week in the business, to be a better salesperson and closer, and more motivate, than an agent who has been in the business for 10-50 years?

Yes

5. Are some people simply smarter than others?

Yes

6. Are some people more dense than others?

Yes

7. Do you know agents that have been in the business for 20 years that just don't seem to have a clue?

Yes

8. Does time doing a certain thing make you an expert, especially if you are not good at it?

No

I'm an old timer, 57. I got licensed in 1978. My dad trained me in life sales. I hated life sales I got out of life in 1982 and into health 100%. I learned group health, individual health and med supp on my own. Learning these products wasn't too hard back then. I learned by going to the "school of hard knocks". You can gain knowledge by being trained, by reading, or doing. I chose a little bit of reading and a whole lot of doing. I don't have great sales skills. Never have. That is probably why I struggled financially so hard in the early years. Most of the new agents I see today have superior sales skills, but lack technical or product skills. Prospects can tell when they are being sold something. Prospects buy from me because I do some fact finding, answer their questions and don't pressure the sale. I don't consider myself an expect. Just someone that has gained an incredible amount of knowledge over the years. I quit advertising years ago. 100% of my new sales are referrals. I answer the telephone or people come to my office. I have telephone leads from 2 weeks ago that I haven't had time to call back. Yesterday, I worked from 8AM to 6PM. Ate lunch at my desk. My secretary has a pile of applications on her desk that she will process today, Sat.
She worked 11 hours last Sat. I will work both today and Sunday.
As you can see, after 32 years in the industry, I'm resting on my laurels.

Probably not

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

I'm an old timer, 57. I got licensed in 1978. My dad trained me in life sales. I hated life sales I got out of life in 1982 and into health 100%. I learned group health, individual health and med supp on my own. Learning these products wasn't too hard back then. I learned by going to the "school of hard knocks". You can gain knowledge by being trained, by reading, or doing. I chose a little bit of reading and a whole lot of doing. I don't have great sales skills. Never have. That is probably why I struggled financially so hard in the early years. Most of the new agents I see today have superior sales skills, but lack technical or product skills. Prospects can tell when they are being sold something. Prospects buy from me because I do some fact finding, answer their questions and don't pressure the sale. I don't consider myself an expect. Just someone that has gained an incredible amount of knowledge over the years. I quit advertising years ago. 100% of my new sales are referrals. I answer the telephone or people come to my office. I have telephone leads from 2 weeks ago that I haven't had time to call back. Yesterday, I worked from 8AM to 6PM. Ate lunch at my desk. My secretary has a pile of applications on her desk that she will process today, Sat.
She worked 11 hours last Sat. I will work both today and Sunday.
As you can see, after 32 years in the industry, I'm resting on my laurels.

I would love to be there one day too. Thanks for the response.

Back