Door to Door Insurance Sales

I'm trying to put myself in the place of a homeowner who has his doorbell rung by someone selling insurance. I think first of all you would have to overcome the initial annoyance of being disturbed as well as someone wondering why this insurance guy is apparently so hard up he has to go door to door. My first impulse was to say this would never work, however:

Perhaps if it were done the way politicians do door to door it could work. For example, you are just going around the neighborhood to introduce yourself. Make it real clear you are not selling. Just leave a little flyer with some generic, helpful information with a way to contact you.

If you get them off-guard a bit that you are not selling something and into some conversation, maybe it would lead to you being able to answer questions. At the least, you would leave some information with them. You can always tell in a face-to-face situation whether there is any point to making conversation.

Of course, many cities have anti-solicitation laws and many more neighborhoods have restrictions. But still, what first seemed like a horrible idea could possibly have something to it.

I would definitely wear a very nice business suit and perhaps carry a leather briefcase to get people to wonder who you are. Perhaps a sigh of relief when they realize you are not from the IRS. :yes:

I would definitely wear a very nice business suit and perhaps carry a leather briefcase to get people to wonder who you are. Perhaps a sigh of relief when they realize you are not from the IRS.
If you want to be portrayed like every other sales guy then you should wear a suit and tie while going B2B or House Hunting. I don't know about you, but I'm VERY protective of my suits and other fine clothing, which is why I dress business-casual when I got out.

In this day and age it's better to go against the traditional IBM appearance unless you're serving a similar demographic. Differentiation is the key and it's what people remember.

When your in the house or business nobody remembers that you wore a Ralph Lauren or Calvin Klein. They sure as hell will remember the friendly guy with Tommy Bahama on and alligator shoes!

In this day and age it's better to go against the traditional IBM appearance unless you're serving a similar demographic. Differentiation is the key and it's what people remember.

You're probably right there. When I think about the recent campaigning, I was more impressed by politicians who personally came to the door rather than using a campaign worker and, come to think of it, they were dressed casually which made everything more "at ease".

That just brought on an interesting idea.

What if you were to "Campain" to be their agent.

When you knock on the door let them know that you are wanting to see if you can "earn their vote"

You are just trying to get around to meet the neighbors

And then give them your card and some info.

If done the right way people would at least be amused, and again don't be sales like, just try to get the introduction and see if they ask any questions.

This is similar to an approach I have seen here were they were sending out resumes.

I just may try this one.

I think it largely depends on the area you are visiting. I went through a very nice neighborhood introducing myself and leaving cards last week and was for the most part warmly received. Now, none of those people have contacted me back yet, so I think that next time I may ask the people who say they are going to give me a call if it would be alright to call them. If they say no, I guess they're probably BSing.

I have done a limited amount of door to door but very successfully. I really don't know why I haven't done more of it.

I did about as you said, just out to introduce myself, business cards in hand AND a fairly nice ink pen to give to people who took the time to talk to me.

I have probably spent no more than 10-days door knocking (over 12-years) I have made 4 or 5 sales within a week of introducing myself to people that way. I made lots of appointments doing it that probably paid off later.

If you have no appointments and it's a nice day. I recommend it.

It works. It's all in how you present yourself.

I don't do it enough to be honest.

I just closed a client last week who I met doing door to door way back in Nov.

The client finally came into the office for an appointment (p&c), got their auto and homeowners and scheduled an appt for next week for their life.

The client told me "I've never had an insurance agent knock on our door before, do you do that often?" I laughed and said only when I'm bored...she laughed and said "well you should do it more often, obviously you're a hard worker".

This is what makes it worth it.

Thanks for your feedback, I strongly believe in door to door sales, I currently work for a cable company going door to door. Its effective because there are customers who do not respond to direct mailers and Tv ads, the same customer who thinks of shopping around for a new insurance company but never does. Furthermore, Its a lot easier to hang up the phone than it is to slam the door in someones face. I am convinced that this will be a very cost effective way to get the ball rolling. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Just like anything else it takes strong follow up skills.

Not all people will jump up and say here's my business! Some will most won't. It takes follow up just like any other lead.

Back