A Dumb Question

Re: A Dumb Question,

By the way, there are no dumb question; only dumb people.

I rarely wear a tie unless I'm meeting with a business owner, and even then it's still unusual.

Rick

Not a dumb question at all. Dress, at least, up to your client. Some clients are impressed with formal dress, some are intimidated by it. Financial advisers and trust agents should shoot for a more formal attire. FE and most life/health producers can go more casual. I always tell young agents to wear a collared shirt and keep a tie (just in case) in their car. You never know when a sit will require it. I've had customers look awkwardly at my tie, but I've NEVER had one ask me to take it off...

Rarely. Also depends on the meeting place. If I am meeting a client at his office in the Financial district, Yes. If I am meeting the same client at his home, No. If I am meeting a Farmer or Contractor client at work. It maybe a nice dress shirt, jeans and boots. Business casual mostly.

On the other hand I replace my attache and padfolio regularly. Only nice leather.

Lee

Definitely DO NOT WEAR A TIE for health or life insurance. Puts the client on edge from the get go. Slacks and a golf shirt or even Jeans and a Golf Shirt is prefectly fine.

Financial advisors on their first meeting with their customer may want to wear a tie

Definitely DO NOT WEAR A TIE for health or life insurance. Puts the client on edge from the get go. Slacks and a golf shirt or even Jeans and a Golf Shirt is prefectly fine.
In general, I agree. I think it depends more on who you are calling on. For going B2B, I think a tie is a mistake in most circumstances as it raises the guard of those you call on.

I had a debit agent once advise me to never wear a tie while collecting in the 'hood. Seems that the fellas who wish to do you harm will grab you by the tie to take you down. Like Paul Harvey used to say, it really isn't the same world we live in...

Back