That Frail Old Client May Have Been a Real Bad Ass.

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
As has been the pattern for many years this winter has had an uptick in death claims. Having an older book of business and being an old school agent it is common for some of these older clients to have been with me for 20 or 25 plus years. Back when they were very much younger and productive. I am also active with an Honor Guard that fires the volleys at Veterans funeral. So I have come to see these, sometimes frail and dying, old men and women in a different light. Not just what they are today.

Not sure the reason behind this post. Maybe just that as we work with more and more Baby Boomers we need to approach them not as old men and women but as Men and Women. I work mostly with middle age and older clients. They are busy active people. Many still work or volunteer more hours than their kids work. They are on smart phones and have multiple devices including laptops and tablets. These are the Vietnam Era 18 year olds of the late 50s, 60s and early 70s. Yeah, they are in their 60s, 70s and 80s now but they were not born 80.

Someone sent this to me today. This man would be in his 80s. An old man. Maybe a frail old man. But he was was a Bad Ass at one time. This includes his speech at the MDRT.

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been the pattern for many years this winter has had an uptick in death claims. Having an older book of business and being an old school agent it is common for some of these older clients to have been with me for 20 or 25 plus years. Back when they were very much younger and productive. I am also active with an Honor Guard that fires the volleys at Veterans funeral. So I have come to see these, sometimes frail and dying, old men and women in a different light. Not just what they are today.

Not sure the reason behind this post. Maybe just that as we work with more and more Baby Boomers we need to approach them not as old men and women but as Men and Women. I work mostly with middle age and older clients. They are busy active people. Many still work or volunteer more hours than their kids work. They are on smart phones and have multiple devices including laptops and tablets. These are the Vietnam Era 18 year olds of the late 50s, 60s and early 70s. Yeah, they are in their 60s, 70s and 80s now but they were not born 80.

Someone sent this to me today. This man would be in his 80s. An old man. Maybe a frail old man. But he was was a Bad Ass at one time. This includes his speech at the MDRT.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oUtJxE4sjs

Now that guy IS a Bad Ass!!! Impressive story. :yes:

A Hispanic-American that speaks German with a Southern accent.:laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oUtJxE4sjs

As a young man now, I am embarrassed not to have known how much of a bad ass my Grandpa Duford was (he's been dead 15 years), and the sacrifice he made to his Country during World War 2.

There are times when I weep, thinking of the burden he carried through his entire life fighting for his and his men's lives.

As a young man now, I am embarrassed not to have known how much of a bad ass my Grandpa Duford was (he's been dead 15 years), and the sacrifice he made to his Country during World War 2.

There are times when I weep, thinking of the burden he carried through his entire life fighting for his and his men's lives.

We lose real history every day as our seniors pass. Real history, not the homogenized history taught in schools or on TV. History told by the people that lived it. If men like Mr Duford did not stand up then where would we be?

Non Veterans have some great stories as well. Some of these old men and women lived through some interesting times. Recently spent some time talking to an old guy about his growing up in the Coal mines in Kentucky (I think), Marine Corps Boot camp, then him riding Rodeo in Wyoming and ending up building a Damn in the mountains of California. A lot of different lives in one Life.

We lose real history every day as our seniors pass. Real history, not the homogenized history taught in schools or on TV. History told by the people that lived it. If men like Mr Duford did not stand up then where would we be?

Non Veterans have some great stories as well. Some of these old men and women lived through some interesting times. Recently spent some time talking to an old guy about his growing up in the Coal mines in Kentucky (I think), Marine Corps Boot camp, then him riding Rodeo in Wyoming and ending up building a Damn in the mountains of California. A lot of different lives in one Life.

Agreed.

I'm sure my fellow final expense comrades will agree it's a shame that we are running into less and less prospects that are WW2 veterans as they age out of the typical FE age range.

Back