Fraud or Not - Paying Deductible on Roof

readynwilling

Many of you read my post last night. Basically I am recently out of prison. I will cut/paste some of it below, so you realize my situation.
I would like to get into insurance, but realize with my situation, it may be very, very difficult. I accept and understand that.

A friend of mine today hooked me up with a roofing contractor, who is looking for salespeople. They do alot of storm damage work. Part of their gig is they agree to "pay" or waive or however you would like to phrase this, the homeowner's deductible. I am in Ohio. Many, many contractors not only do this, but advertise they do this. Same with collision repair shops for that matter.

I have learned from real estate that just because it's "industry standard" or "everyone does it", does not mean it's a legal practice. Everyone was pushing b.s subprime loans (thankfully I didn't), and
many of those people are in prison now.

I am not in the position, nor will I let myself be put in the position where I do anything even slightly illegal (that is like a little bit pregnant - really no such thing) ever again. I make a lousy prisoner - I hate prison, and love my family and freedom. So....I am Mr. by the book now.

Here is my question? This is obviously an "accepted practice", but is it legal. I am NOT asking for a legal opinion here, NOR WILL I RELY ON YOUR OPINION. I am looking for a blatant yes or no. If it seems enough people blatantly think it is illegal, well it likely is, and I will drop the idea. If enough people think it's legal, I will then ask my attorney to spend some time researching the issue for me, and give me a written legal opinion he can stand by. I just don't want to drop $2000 or so for an opinion in writing, if the answer is obviously a no. So please give me your thoughts on this. I really looked over the posts, did searches by keywords, and could come up with nothing on the subject.

I really appreciate everyone who posts an answer. Thank you and God Bless you.

Excerpt on my situation:
I am in Ohio. Just finished serving a 20 month sentence in federal prison, for crimes committed in '98-2001 (it took years for them to allow me to plead guilty). I received my grand jury subpeona in '02, did not got go to prison till '08.

My charges I pled to were:

1) Subscribing to a Tax Return which he did not believe to be true and Correct as to Every Material Matter

2) Making False Documents Containing Materially False Statements

Prior to '02 I was in real estate, and a top, top, top performer ( 5 years in a row, multiple 6 figure income). In '03 took a break, and started a drain cleaning business, which won the Angie's List Super Service Award 3 years in a row. Terrific comments from clients testifying to what a great job we did (I sold the business before entering prison). Why I bring this out, is I feel I rehabilitated myself even BEFORE I went to prison. I screwed up (BAD), and paid bad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
is it that dumb of a question to get zero response??

Last edited:
Back