Frustration setting in.

Been there. Use to drive all over Maryland and actually didn't mind it that much. I do enjoy meeting with clients but it's obviously better for both parties to do health insurance online. Why? Clients get a chance to look at the rates and plans on their own and pull the trigger when they want. They don't get that luxury when I just drove a hour to see them. Trust me - I'm leaving with a check. Now I can take my time with people. FAR less lapses that way. You can talk people into anything during the presentation if you're a great salesman. But you have to leave eventually. Then they get 12 months to think about it. Most health insurance agent I knew are out of the biz due to chargebacks.

Sounds like you are putting the right foot forward.

But you need to cross sell. Only selling one product, you are leaving dollars on the table. If you sell health insurance, make sure you have life in you back pocket (vice versa).

One product that I sell for retention is dental. The comm. suck (12% on a $35 premium). But, the more they buy from you the better the chance they stay wtih you. I do not run dental appointments, but I offer it. Easy to sell, no underwriting, and most people appreciate it as most agents stay away from it (for the comm part of it). But an extra $3 per month per policy adds up (free tank of gas every month!)

Hey Mark....I fully understand what you are going through. I think we have all had those moments where we questioned why we were doing this and what do we do next.

Here are a few things I've found about the insurance business:

1. Activity is key....as my ex Woodmen state manager said.."You gotta see the people". It took me a while to understand that concept, but I understand it now. Talk, talk, talk to people about what you do. Find creative ways to tell people what you do instead of being just an "Insurance agent".

2. Find creative ways to market yourself. There are ways to do it without spending a lot of money. John has some great ideas on how to use fliers and working B2B.

3. Ask for referrals. I know some of the guys here say they don't like to do that, but that same Woodmen State manager I used to work for would do it in a heartbeat. He would lean in on the table and say, "Mr/Ms Customer....I need your help. I need five names of people you know who could benefit from our products and service."....then he would sit back and wait for them to respond. He literally would not leave until he had some names. Rarely did I ever see a negative response from the client. It's almost like they felt obligated to do this...or they knew he wouldn't leave until they did. Ask for referrals...there is nothing shameful in asking for them.

4. Strive to get as many "no's" as you possibly can. Yea...I know you guys are saying "huh"? If you are asking for their business all they can say is no, right? Out of 10 no's, what if someone says yes? I read a story about a manager with a big captive company was dealing with a period of slow production. He asked all his agents one day to knock on at a minimum of 60 doors in one day's time and ask this question...."You don't want to buy any insurance do you?" Now, what a ridiculous question, right? However, they found that ever so often someone said "you know, actually I do...come on in". The moral of that story is it's a numbers game.

5. Have fun. This is a relationship business. If it weren't, we shouldn't receive renewals....right? The most successful agents I've ever seen worked hard at building long term relationships by being "THE MAN" when it came to buying insurance. I once read where you need 100 loyal paying clients and from that 100 you build your business. That makes a lot of sense.

Anyway....that's just a few insights of my own...some borrowed....some not. Like Zig says...this is a noble profession. If you believe that and believe in your product the sky is the limit.

Back