FTC to BAN Robo Calling September 1st

squeed

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
This kind of stuff that makes me angry. I don't like to get robo calls either, I'm sure that few people do, but it must work for some percentage of people otherwise companies wouldn't do it, add this to the "do not call" list and many states of pending "do not mail" legislation and CANN SPAM of 2003.

What are small businesses going to do? Pretty soon, you can't call prospects, you can't mail them or email them, you can't afford to go on TV, Radio or Magazines, and only the big players have enough money to get noticed on the web.

Maybe we can meditate and hope that business comes our way ? Did you also notice that the politicians recused themselves from this new law ?

It's easy to just hang up. Why does this need to be legislated? These are the types of little things that add up over time and then you wonder why the economy sucks. It's because hundreds of thousands of telemarketers lost their jobs with "Do Not Call" so that American's wouldn't have to be bothered with the hard task of hanging up the phone. About 23 states are getting ready to pass some sort of do-not-mail, no email either thanks to 2003 and now this. It's like death from a thousand paper cuts.

FTC Bans Some So-Called Robocalls

Aug 27, 2009 6:01 PM

The Federal Trade Commission has banned telemarketers from making prerecorded commercial telemarketing calls to consumers unless they obtain permission in writing from consumers who want to receive such calls.
The ban takes effect Sept. 1.
After that date, telemarketers who violate this rule will face penalties of up to $16,000 per call, according to the FTC. However, this new prohibition does not apply to calls from politicians, banks, telephone carriers and most charitable organizations or other recorded calls as long as they don’t try to sell anything, according other FTC. In addition, the ban does not apply to debt-collection calls that s do not seek to promote the sale of any goods or services. The new requirement is part of amendments to the agency’s Telemarketing Sales Rule that were announced a year ago.[/QUOTE]

This is just another example of a method of marketing which was exploited to the point of harassment. Telemarketing firms just couldn't restrain themselves. I remember once getting an automated call while my family was dining on thanksgiving! Now you get these damn calls on your cell phone-- text messages too. I don't know what small business is going to do because we don't have the resources to dig deep, like you said. Perhaps that is why the ban is structured as it is-- the mom and pop shops will do their calls personally while the telemarketing guru's will actually have to employ humans!

If you are going to call me to sell me something, at least have the courtesy of being on the phone when I answer.

The 'Press 1' campaigns were not all that efficient, except they took a human cost out of the equation, allowing LOTS of inefficient calls to be made, at a very low cost. Basically, similar to email spam.

With direct mail, or real telemarketing, there is a substantial cost involved and therefore, the quality (and value) of the campaign goes up signficantly. Still a pain to the average consumer, but by nature, has a limited impact due to cost factors.

Unlike many, I always looked at the do not call list as a good thing. People who sign up for this probably wouldn't buy from a telemarketer anyway, whittling down the list of people to those who are more likely to be interested.

Dan

While I am on the DNC list, I am not sold on it being something the federal government even has the constitutional authority to implement. I believe this is the decision of each state. Perhaps if the call originates outside of the recipients state then it comes under the interstate commerce act, but only then.

If the geniuses in DC are so opposed to the calls, let them ban all cold calling, except in the case of political campaigns of course. That would likely not be constitutional but when has that stopped the crooks in congress?

Rick

All I can say is that small business in America is what is taking the hit from all of this. I can't think of another way to kill someone who is just starting in business with little funds to market their product or service. I don't care if you don't like robo calls where else in the world could you market your product to thousands of people for little or almost nothing.

We all get the calls I listen if it sounds like something new or if its one of the same one's that I get, I hang up. What's so bad about the calls if I was getting one every hour then that would be a problem, but I will be honest I get maybe three calls a day if that many and not all the time. Well now small business will now get more robo calls than they can stand just you wait and see! The law will change in another year you won't be able to call small business either.

Why do we have to be so rude to one another in this forum? This is so stupid let's just respect one another and help each other that will help small business as well. Come on folks grow up.

where exactly does this BAN leave us as independent agents?? What are the guidelines, and what exactly can/cannot do as far as leads go?

sigh..... Today is September 1st; and I just got a "press 1" call from "insuranceagents.com" promoting their services in my area. I guess they didn't get the memo.

Latest posts

Back