Getting Back into Insurance (the Right Way?)

Passion

I worked for American Income Life for about 6 months calling lead packs and meeting prospects at their homes to sell life insurance (made good money, but very long hours) before I left to get my Class A license and be a truck driver through the government for free.

I am back home from over the road and I want to find a local insurance job that will use the PC side. I have my PC certification and I will take the PSI Exam. I live in Metairie, Louisiana. When I have the PC with my existing LH, what agency would be best? State farms are all over the place and I know it will involve cold calling which I am fine with. I have talked to many of them already.

So is the path: 1. work for state farm, get some PC experience, get the Mortgage License, and then 2. use that experience to move to a truly independent local insurance broker?

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is that is this what I want to do for the rest of my life. You indicated you had worked for an Insurance Company and were making good money but were working long hours. Then you left to drive a truck? What has propelled you back to insurance. First, I do not know what your definition of good money is, but if in your mind you were making it, why did you leave the profession and what make you think it is going to be different this time around? In order to be successful in this industry, especially if you are just starting out you are going to have to work hard and work long hours. If you are not able to come to terms with that, this may not be the best fit. Best of Luck.

Independent broker is the way to go especially if they are focused on Commercial Business. They must also be willing to train which if you don’t have commercial experience is very important. Study the carriers they represent and find a niche you are interested in and one where you have competitive markets.

Jeff Biesen
Owner of JBI Insurance Group

Back