Getting Call Backs

ajhno

I am selling primarily annuities and receive leads from various ads where people will call at times when the office is closed. I'm a bit new to this part of the business and wondering what other peoples' experiences are.

1. If someone calls at 6am or 10pm and it goes to voicemail, do they leave a message? I have a lot of people who just hang up. I have very mixed response calling back saying I missed their call.

2. For campaigns where I've used a call center, they'll give their name, address, phone, etc., and even set a time to talk. Then, they ignore phone calls. I realize this is very common in all forms of sales, but I'm trying to analyze why in a B2C environment. I come from B2B where it was people just blowing you off, but I'm wondering if B2C isn't more fear, scatter-brained-ness :twitchy:, etc. Any ideas to cut through the clutter when I try to return their call and can't even get them on the phone?

I am selling primarily annuities and receive leads from various ads where people will call at times when the office is closed. I'm a bit new to this part of the business and wondering what other peoples' experiences are.

1. If someone calls at 6am or 10pm and it goes to voicemail, do they leave a message? I have a lot of people who just hang up. I have very mixed response calling back saying I missed their call.

2. For campaigns where I've used a call center, they'll give their name, address, phone, etc., and even set a time to talk. Then, they ignore phone calls. I realize this is very common in all forms of sales, but I'm trying to analyze why in a B2C environment. I come from B2B where it was people just blowing you off, but I'm wondering if B2C isn't more fear, scatter-brained-ness :twitchy:, etc. Any ideas to cut through the clutter when I try to return their call and can't even get them on the phone?

Personally, I would think if someone is calling 3 hours before or 5 hours after normal business hours they do not necessarily want to talk to a sales person. Are you offering some type of free gift or report? You could offer a free report and set up a number where they call listen to a message asking to leave name number and address. Then you mail the report and try following up in a week by phone.

I am not a fan of free gift marketing because I believe most people do not want anything more than the gift.

They're fence sitters and are calling to make sure you're legit and are who you say you are.

I know that this business falls into the category of businesses where people tend to overwhelmingly ignore your calls unless you already have a working relationship with them or they have already signed and committed to something.

For instance, I just had someone recently looking for life insurance. I happened to be on the phone with a complete stranger inquiring about office space and asked him what he did and where he was from. He had an accent plus he mentioned he did other things and moved here not too long ago.......anyway, he asked me the same thing and I told him insurance. He asked if I sold liability as he was building an assisted living facility and was looking for liability insurance upon completion.

I said, no I don't do that, I do life, health, retirement vehicles, things of that nature. He proceeds to tell me he wants a quote for two life policies and I tell him I'll get something together for him if he is serious. He said yes, very serious but I can't get the guy to answer his phone.

It is a good thing I got his address of where he is building the assisted living facility because I am going to stop by and follow up in person. Give him a physical body and face to connect a name with. I'll see how it goes. But I have come across this type of stuff many times in this business.

In almost all other businesses I have been in, the customer bugs the crap out of you, wanting to know how soon before you can get there, rush, rush, rush........NOT this business. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

As far as answering your phone, I answer my phone all the time unless I am sleeping. My buddy is a Realtor and actually one of the successful ones and he always answers the phone unless he is on it.

In almost all other businesses I have been in, the customer bugs the crap out of you, wanting to know how soon before you can get there, rush, rush, rush........NOT this business. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

That is so true. I use to manage a rent to own company. and sold for a cable company. The answer is "instant gratification" a tangible product or service they want right now. (Ex. I rented flat screen tvs, computers, furniture, appliances..) People would go broke every month to rent a nice big screen or flat lcd tv. Because its a product they can see, touch, and show off to friends and family. Same thing with cable tv or internet service. But when it comes to things that we need like insurance on health and life to make sure our well being is taken care of people run for the hills away. hhhhmmm now will that HDTV or cable service help your medical bills or help with the final expense planning? Not to down play any other service's out there, but people need to understand priorities that will help ease unexpected financial events.

One more thing and this is funny to me a story of a lead I got from vimo back in 2007. I got the lead in my inbox email, emailed the lead 1st, call her 2nd she answers the phone. We talked I built rapport with her and discussed options. After I gave her a quote she claimed she was fairly healthy and takes care of herself. So I followed up two weeks later, and she said she was still thinking about it, ok fine I hung up. Four weeks later, I get a call from the lady and in the background it sounds like she is in a hospital. "Her exact words, I know I am taking a million to one shot here, but I am about to have surgery is it too late to enroll in that health insurance plan you quoted me?":D My exact words, "Are you serious lady!"

ok I am out of here its saturday...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
NC Health and Life Insurance for Individuals,Family, Self Employed
4 Health Coverage :: Helping You Make Informed Decisions About Your Health Insurance

Last edited:
Try them a few times. Then ad them to a drip system. formal or not.
Maybe drop a note that being the end of the month rates may be changing downward, We should talk. Then wait for it to be delivered, then call. Rinse and repeat.

Sometimes people are reluctant to speak to an agent because they know they are buyers.

As to why I'm getting calls so late, I'm running cheap radio ads from 7-10pm because daytime is $300 a pop. Since no one wants to buy radio ads at night, I can tell them what I want to pay. I get a few calls a week and the cost-per-call isn't great, but I had one lady recently call and she has $250k she is interested in an annuity and it was a good call.

Do you think it looks bad to answer your phone at 9:30pm at night? I wonder if a lot of people wouldn't just hang up because they weren't expecting to talk with someone.

I guess I just need to accept the odds. My problem is not enough good leads. I'm making good money for just starting out, but I want everyone to return my calls. :) I realize that you just have to play the numbers; I paid $100 for a bunch of internet leads, got a bunch of nasty people, but closed one $5000 premium case. I just want to figure out the psychology so I can cut bad leads loose and chase the good ones. I guess my perfect/spreadsheet world doesn't exist.

As to why I'm getting calls so late, I'm running cheap radio ads from 7-10pm because daytime is $300 a pop. Since no one wants to buy radio ads at night, I can tell them what I want to pay. I get a few calls a week and the cost-per-call isn't great,

Do you think it looks bad to answer your phone at 9:30pm at night? I wonder if a lot of people wouldn't just hang up because they weren't expecting to talk with someone.

If you are advertising 7PM-10PM be ready to answer the phone. Your advertisement worked, get them set up for an appt. while they are interested. I got a lead today on e-mail. The lady was shocked I called on Memorial Day. I explained that I like to handle things immediately. She said come on out this week to sign her up.

Last edited:
Sounds good;I'll do what you suggest. When I worked B2B sales, my partner said he didn't want me emailing anyone after 7pm; said it made us look desperate and like we had nothing going on and no life. I'll take your word on this that I should be ready (which is great, because I'm up late anyway). Do you think I should put in the ad "I'll take your call now", or "I'll talk with you personally" or something like that?

People are people and will call at stupid times. At the earliest possible time after they call you should try to call them back. In business sales people are (normally) sitting at their desks so it is quite easy to get hold of them but with consumer sales you need to be a lot more flexible and try to call them back quite a few times, evening are an especially good time. Be persistent.

Back