Getting Licensed in All States

I always saw that, do they enforce that? fl has 67 counties, that would be $462 for the fl non res appt.

I'm not really sure. Glad to be an FL resident so I don't have to be a resident.

I really wanted to setup a corporation to assign commissions to but the agency non-res licensing fees are ridiculous.

Alston, another thing to keep in mind is that there is quite a learning curve. Some states have some real whacky insurance laws (e.g. MI,PA & NY). I wish there was a one stop resource to learn each of the states' insurance laws but I doubt it exists.

What about CEUs? Is that a big hassle?

For the most part if you are Ok with your home state's CE requirements...the reciprocal state generally doesn't have any additional hoops for you to jump. Basically, the reasoning is if your state say you're ok, they''ll just say "me to" and gladly accept your money.

BE CAREFUL......The states don't consolidate their RENEWAL DATES.......So you need to pay attention to which license renewal fee may be due this year vs next, some states use the anniversary of your first license others I think use the month of your birth etc.

Not a huge deal but you need to be aware that you can not just pay them all at once and be done with it.
For example, I just paid California their $128 (every "even year" in Jan) Texas gets their $50 every "odd year" in May.

Earlier posters were correct getting the non-resident license is "stupidly" easy and no need to get until you need to....I've "applied" online over the weekend and been issued a license # by Monday, so it doesn't take weeks to get like it may have when getting initially approved for your resident license....truly just a pay and your done system, easy as pie.

As others have said the cost is around 5k, "averaging" about $100 per state but each individual state's cost vary widely.... ie Ohio (which used to be $0 with no expiration date) now I think they charge $10 whereas Hawaii and Nevada charge like $400-$450 (I think they are protecting their resident agents with a competitive advantage)

* Most states don't require you to be licensed to receive overrides, I don't know if you were looking to be the "writing" agent in all 50 or were concerned about override commission in states like Miss.you need to be licensed to be paid, period where you don't need a license in Texas to receive your override.

Hope, I helped somebody.

Also be sure that you have the right years for licensing, like a poster mentioned.

My Georgia license, in particular, gave me issues. It expired last year (it only lasted 1 year) and I missed it, so I had to re-do it. I'd write everything down on a calendar and call that stuff a day.

Alston, another thing to keep in mind is that there is quite a learning curve. Some states have some real whacky insurance laws (e.g. MI,PA & NY). I wish there was a one stop resource to learn each of the states' insurance laws but I doubt it exists.

This is probably the most important comment on this thread, if your goal is to actually write in all 50 states. MD, for example, passed a law 3 years ago that made it illegal for carriers to issue riders if they have creditable coverage.

Originally Posted by The Gimp
In addition to fingerprints, FL makes you pay $60 for the state + $6 per county. A total rip-off IMO.
I always saw that, do they enforce that? fl has 67 counties, that would be $462 for the fl non res appt.
The $6.00 fee per county is collected by the carrier which you're Appointed with, so it's not a question whether the FL DOI in enforcing it, you can't submit an application unless you're Appointed.

But, you're not submitting applications in all 67 counties at once, so that $462 fee is not an issue.

Alston, just curious, is this so that you can actively sell in all states or is this just for overwrite purposes?

Back