Getting Licensed in All States

* Most states don't require you to be licensed to receive overrides, I don't know if you were looking to be the "writing" agent in all 50 or were concerned about override commission in states like Miss.you need to be licensed to be paid, period where you don't need a license in Texas to receive your override.

Hope, I helped somebody.

It may vary based on the carrier, which is a PITA. Fore example, there are only 5 or 6 states Assurity requires you to have a license in (TX not being one of them) to receive overrides. American General, however, just sent me an email requesting my TX license in order to receive overrides in the future.

It may vary based on the carrier, which is a PITA. Fore example, there are only 5 or 6 states Assurity requires you to have a license in (TX not being one of them) to receive overrides. American General, however, just sent me an email requesting my TX license in order to receive overrides in the future.

You are correct, sir some carriers will require the extra step of licensing when the government agency of that state doesn't.

I didn't want to add another layer to an already tedious post, of course if THE carrier request that you be licensed or get a certain amount of extra E&O and it's in your best interest to deal with that carrier vs one that doesn't have an extra hoop to jump...you can make that decision @ that time.

I'm just making the distinction between what is legally required vs what a particular may request of their agents.

Bottom line the process is simple but the attention/expense to needed maintain current status may or may not be worth the effort.
I've found that I wind up dropping states because its population doesn't warrant any additional focus but that's me...

E.g.....Ten states equal more than 50% of the U.S. population....1 of 5 of all Americans live in California and Texas yet Hawaii and Nevada want me to send 9 or 10 x's Texas' state fee to give me access to Hawaii's .43 or Nevada's .86% of the population plus remember their deadlines and rules...No thanks too many bodies in the "Big Ten.":)

Best of luck.

I assume you can only (and would want only) ONE state to be your "resident" state for licensing.

I live in CA (with my very expensive wife.)

I have a place in Florida. I've wanted to get licensed there but getting a finger print in my area is a PITA as they only do it from 1 PM to 1:05 PM or something like that. As I understand it, FL will not allow the "scan" thing... you have to do it at the police station.

So, let me ask this. Does Florida CARE where the finger print is taken? Can I walk into the N. Palm Beach police building and have it done there or must it be in your RESIDENT state?

Thanks,

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you can only (and would want only) ONE state to be your "resident" state for licensing.

Al,
You can only have one resident state and for you, it's CA.
You would need a non-resident license to sell in FL, just as you would need a non-resident license to sell in any state other than CA.

There are states other than FL that also requires an FBI finger-print kit.

I live in CA (with my very expensive wife.)

I have a place in Florida. I've wanted to get licensed there but getting a finger print in my area is a PITA

Al[/quote]
_________________________________________________________________________________
AL
I'm a Cali guy as well, all you need is a non-res....which you can do online. The "understanding" is that, your RESIDENT state (California) did all the "due diligence" required to license you, so Florida is just rubber stamping and collecting $$$.

It's similar to the reciprocity that states have by "allowing" you to drive on your resident state drivers license although you didn't pass or even take a drivers test in that "non-resident" state, to prove that you can drive or that you are EVEN, who you say you are, they just TRUST that your "home" state did it's job. (Insert, that's why we have lots of illegals driving in this country rant here.)

* Again, I'm only referencing the "due diligence" stuff, here......unlike drivers licenses...... all states WILL actually issue a state license for non-resident insurance agents and happily collect taxes...sorry..."licensing fees" with very little effort or oversight, except making sure your check/credit card clears.;)

i think you provide the great idea getting a licensed all country tis is very dificult but your idea id and i appreciated nice job keep it up

I'd go onto NIPR and check for boxes for every state - the next page will show you the total.

Any chance you could do this for us and post a screen shot of the result? I'm currently checking through each individual state to find the non-resident licensing fees for Life and Annuities Producers.

So far i've seen some states asking for $15 (VA) and others asking for $220 (OK).

It would probably be useful information to many people if someone could simply "check the boxes" and post the results.

Back