Getting Licensed in All States

Alston

Guru
1000 Post Club
What is the process for getting a life and health license in all 50 states plus DC, assuming that one already holds a license that includes those lines for one state (Connecticut in my case)?

What is the initial cost?

What is the annual cost?

How much of a hassle is it?

I assume that for the most part, I'll be able to take CEU courses that will apply to all or most states and therefore only have to take a few extra courses compared to what I have to take now. Connecticut requires 24 credit hours every 2 years. Am I off base?

Anything else I forgot?

What is the process for getting a life and health license in all 50 states plus DC, assuming that one already holds a license that includes those lines for one state (Connecticut in my case)?
What is the initial cost?
What is the
annual cost?
How much of a hassle is it?
I assume that for the most part, I'll be able to take CEU courses that will apply to all or most states and therefore only have to take a few extra courses compared to what I have to take now. Connecticut requires 24 credit hours every 2 years. Am I off base?
Actually, it's a fairly simple process and it can be done online.
As long as your resident states' license is active, most states have reciprocal agreements.

CT has a L & H license that allows you to sell all products. Some states require a separate license for Medicare & LTC.

Also some states (FL or an example) requires a fingerprint kit, that can be picked up at your local police station. No problem, but it does delay the licensing procedure.

You'll find the process can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. Fees are different in each state and can run from $15 to a couple of hundred.

There's no need to get licensed in every state at once. Only apply for a license when you're ready to submit business from that state.

Last edited:
These guys are on point for the most part. Most states are reciprocal, meaning they'll let CT states get licenses without much trouble if CT licensed agents can do the same in their state.

Each state does things a little differently, and cost can vary greatly, but most use Sircon:

Session Expired

I think it was $3700 +/- to do all 50. There are many that are free/low cost, though.

Like John said, Florida is the biggest pain, they'll do fingerprints and background and such, but its just time consuming.

You'll run into some nagging issues such as some states, like FL, require finger printing:

For nonresident agents: Only FBI-approved fingerprint cards are acceptable. An applicant's fingerprints must be taken by a certified law enforcement officer, or by an employee of a law enforcement agency whose duty it is to perform fingerprint services for the public. The signature of the person taking the prints must be written in the space entitled "Signature of Official Taking Fingerprints." All personal information requested at the top of the fingerprint card (date of birth, place of birth, weight, height, color of eyes and hair, etc.) is required. Incomplete fingerprint cards will be returned which will delay the processing of an applicant's license application. Do NOT fold the fingerprint card.

Last edited:
Back