Going Independent - Not Ready to Notify Employer

AFLSC

I am in the process of transitioning from a captive life/health agent to independent with both p&c and life/health. While I am transitioning, I don't want to raise any flags with my employer.

Do any of my actions trigger notification to my employer? (i.e. submit for my personal lines license, purchase e&o, or sign with an IMO)

Much thanks.

Do any of my actions trigger notification to my employer? (i.e. submit for my personal lines license, purchase e&o, or sign with an IMO)

Shouldn't.

But only as long as you can keep all that secret.

As soon as your employer gets wind of any of it you'll probably be fired.

A word of caution: If you have a non-compete agreement, you'd better have it looked at by a lawyer and get advice on how not to violate it.

Yes, the changes will appear on your license. Specifically the new appointments. If you get new appointments, and you employer is checking your license (which is unlikely, unless you give them a reason to) then it will be obvious.

I'm no expert on this, but it couldn't hurt to give your contract a serious review. Many times in many industries, people leave their job under bad circumstances because they didn't plan the exit well enough. Make sure you have a good understanding of your current non compete agreement. It couldn't hurt to get your contract reviewed by a lawyer if that's an option. Some times it doesn't make sense to pay for that, some times it doesn't make sense not to.

Back