Golf Cart Accident While At Work

parallelism

So this is my second time posting and I never thought I would be needing as much help as I am. My last thread was about a settlement quote that the users of this forum handled perfectly.

This time, I seek the community for help again but in a slightly different matter.

The vehicle that was involved in the accident was similar to a golf cart. It was a "mule". Basically a golf cart but for more rugged terrain.

While on shift I got distracted and was paying a bit too much attention to the right (passengers side) mirror. I veered to the left and hit the front bumper of the mule. I hit a stationary piece of iron used as a trash for other metal scraps. The point of impact was the front bumper and from doing so, it put too much pressure and caused the windshield to shatter. ]

When my supervisors came to the seen of the accident (which I was very embarrassed about) he told me it was physically impossible for that much damage to have been caused going 6 or 7 miles per hour. I seriously only was going 6 or 7 MPH. The object I hit must have weighted a couple thousand pounds and didn't move it at all.

The course of action my supervisor took was to drive my vehicle (technically my mothers) and drive me to get a UA test. I took the UA test with compliance although he never gave me an option. I asked him when I could get the vehicle back and notified me when he got the results back.

I passed the UA with negative results. He gave me permission to get my car.

This is what I'm having problems with. When we spoke over the phone, he told me I will have to pay for the damages. Although, why am'I paying for the damages if I was unable to use my vehicle? Isn't the whole purpose of me not touching my vehicle is to show my company's insurance that I was not driving under any influence?

I told my supervisor that I would pay for the damages. But I don't want to pay for the damage if I don't have to.

Can anybody shed any light on this topic? If I was unable to use my vehicle, shouldn't the reason be to prove to the company's insurance I was not negligent but only a true accident? Or perhaps is this normal? I guess I'm just seeking any information possible without pissing my boss off more.

TL;DR: Crashed a company mule, couldn't use my car till a UA was completed, paying for damages in full.

Just another small fact to go along here, he asked for me to print out my phone and text records to show I was not texting or calling during the time of the accident. I did so and was not texting or calling.

It just seems like me printing out my phone records, taking a UA and not having access to my vehicle should be a result of the company's insurance checking to see if I were doing anything illegal during the time of the accident.

Please provide feedback. Thanks again

-Parallelism

Was the chick you were scoping in the mirror babe-alicious?

Lol no, I was crossing train tracks and it was an intersection in a plant where vehicles much bigger then me cross through. Just being safe and making sure a vehicle was not trying to pass me.

Seems like the issue should fall under the companies liability plan if you were not impaired in any way.

I think your boss is a jack ass and has went overboard. I can understand the drug test if it is company policy...but the phone records come on CSI? Accidents happen and I would not be so quick to pay for the damages. I would question him a out the whole thing. Did you sign a consent form for the test? Just sounds like BS to me.

I think your boss is a jack ass and has went overboard. I can understand the drug test if it is company policy...but the phone records come on CSI? Accidents happen and I would not be so quick to pay for the damages. I would question him a out the whole thing. Did you sign a consent form for the test? Just sounds like BS to me.

The only thing I signed was the paperwork at Legacy hospital to take the pee test. My boss gave me no option. He TOLD me I needed to take a UA test.

I agree. Yes, I was at fault but it just seems like I'm getting 'stiffed' both ends. The first end being I had to jump through the company hoops for the UA test, phone records and the 2nd end having to pay for it.

The more I think about it, the more I think my boss is scaring me into thinking I'll be paying for the damages or just being a 'bully' for lack of a better word.

Your boss is p issed and don't you think he has the right to be? You're behind a wheel and you lost concentration. You are lucky nobody got hurt.

You've damaged his trust. It takes a while to get it back.

Your boss is p issed and don't you think he has the right to be? You're behind a wheel and you lost concentration. You are lucky nobody got hurt.

You've damaged his trust. It takes a while to get it back.

Yes, but at the same time, I don't think he's doing this by the book or being shady.

Your last thread was about how much you could stiff the insurance company for with pain and suffering. Now, its about the evil boss and making the insurance company pay.

Personally, I think you should claim a loss of conciousness caused by injuries incurred from the first accident and have them pay the claim..... yeah, just kidding on this.

Pee test..... probably company policy. Not required, but, probably immediate termination if you don't comply, given there was an accident. Same thing with phone records. All part of a company investigating an accident. Probably very, very, very little to do with insurance, but completely company policy. Okay, insurance requires a safety policy be in place that investigates accidents, so maybe a bit related to insurance.

As far as paying for the damages? If it happened in the line of work and it was an accident, I doubt they could make you pay for it. Sounds like a larger company, I would talk to the HR department. See what the company policy is on this. If the damage is enough, you might want to consult an attorney, but this might not be worthwhile.

Dan

Your last thread was about how much you could stiff the insurance company for with pain and suffering. Now, its about the evil boss and making the insurance company pay.

Personally, I think you should claim a loss of conciousness caused by injuries incurred from the first accident and have them pay the claim..... yeah, just kidding on this.

Pee test..... probably company policy. Not required, but, probably immediate termination if you don't comply, given there was an accident. Same thing with phone records. All part of a company investigating an accident. Probably very, very, very little to do with insurance, but completely company policy. Okay, insurance requires a safety policy be in place that investigates accidents, so maybe a bit related to insurance.

As far as paying for the damages? If it happened in the line of work and it was an accident, I doubt they could make you pay for it. Sounds like a larger company, I would talk to the HR department. See what the company policy is on this. If the damage is enough, you might want to consult an attorney, but this might not be worthwhile.

Dan

First off, thanks for your reply. I'm going to make a left turn on tangent road for one minute. My last topic was in regards to a drunk driver hitting my vehicle on the passengers side and asking this forum how much money is my case worth on average. Sorry, but when handling in a roll-over accident (which you obviously have never been in one) you want to make the best decisions possible in every aspect. Settlements, safety, future safety and every other area also. My last thread was purely asking the community for what the pain and suffering was worth. I had friends and family telling me 100,000, I had friends telling me 5,000, I had this forum telling me 0 and I had input from every which way. I'm sure if you were young like myself and really have never done anything alone in terms of insurance you would have some questions to make sure you didn't get screwed out of money. Besides, since the rollover I have been experiencing really severe anxiety while driving. I never asked how I could screw the insurance company, I was asking what my case was worth. Turns out it was worth 4,500. This forum told me it was worth 0. I appreciated the feedback and took what key points this forum gave me

As for this thread, again, I'm inexperienced in the whole area of LIFE, never really done anything on my own and sorry for trying to show some independence and get some voices from other places.

I doubt the damages are enough to consult an attorney but I do think it would be worth while consulting one for an opinion to gauge where I'm at in terms of liability.

Last night I also looked up the definition of liability insurance and basically what I got from it was, it is to protect the employee's of a company from damage to other people's property, not myself.

I did leave out the fact that we're a contracted company and the mule I damaged was the site mule, not the companies but I didn't really think it matter.

Dan, thanks for your reply and paying to much attention to the topics I'm throwing out! :1wink:

Back