Good idea or bad idea?

Sam

Founder
Administrator
I have been thinking that it might be cool to do a "Forum Person of the Year"
We could take nominations in a nominating thread or privately and then open a poll for voting to all of our registered members. You could vote for the person whose posts you learned the most from, or laughed the most from or whose politics so angered you as to bring you back again and again etc...

I was thinking we could open nominations for one or two weeks and then have another week or two for actual voting. Prizes could be a case of Omaha steaks or an $100 amazon gift card or admission to Chumps association etc...

Any thoughts? My only hesitation is that there might be some cheating with multiple accounts and I don't really want to create too much work.

We could take nominations in a nominating thread or privately and then open a poll for voting to all of our registered members. You could vote for the person whose posts you learned the most from, or laughed the most from or whose politics so angered you as to bring you back again and again etc...

I was thinking we could open nominations for one or two weeks and then have another week or two for actual voting. Prizes could be a case of Omaha steaks or an $100 amazon gift card or admission to Chumps association etc...

Any thoughts? My only hesitation is that there might be some cheating with multiple accounts and I don't really want to create too much work.

Great idea. Build up somebody's ego while building up traffic!!!

I'm in......

This is about the dumbest idea I've ever heard a web-board owner do. So you want to pit agent against agent to try to determine who is the most popular? Or is it who is the most intelligent? Or is it who is the agent that everyone likes least or hates most?

What does this do for us as a community? It brings us together? It makes for a more cohesive group... one that becomes more accepting of divergent points of view?

No, what it does is help further divide us, it helps to solidify that those who post the most are "right" most of the time... what it does is create splits and divisions in the agent community.

This might be "cool" and "fun" as you see it, but what about all those who are not chosen as "the best." What about all of those who believe strongly in what they believe but who are ridiculed and attacked for those beliefs?

No, Sam. What this is is a nice example of let's see who agrees most with Sam, right? Who is going to be the judge and jury? Me? Yeah, right. In your dreams. It will be you Sam... and why you want to engage in an action that has the propensity and possibility of dividing and creating strife in the online community is beyond my comprehension.

I'll tell you right now who will be the finalists:

John P.
Frank S.
Rick B.
SAI
Chumps
STI

This is a bad idea, in my opinion... which I'm sure is worthless in this venue... but which will probably get me banned for at least short time for expressing it.

The Jackass

This is about the dumbest idea I've ever heard a web-board owner do. So you want to pit agent against agent to try to determine who is the most popular? Or is it who is the most intelligent? Or is it who is the agent that everyone likes least or hates most?

What does this do for us as a community? It brings us together? It makes for a more cohesive group... one that becomes more accepting of divergent points of view?

No, what it does is help further divide us, it helps to solidify that those who post the most are "right" most of the time... what it does is create splits and divisions in the agent community.

This might be "cool" and "fun" as you see it, but what about all those who are not chosen as "the best." What about all of those who believe strongly in what they believe but who are ridiculed and attacked for those beliefs?

No, Sam. What this is is a nice example of let's see who agrees most with Sam, right? Who is going to be the judge and jury? Me? Yeah, right. In your dreams. It will be you Sam... and why you want to engage in an action that has the propensity and possibility of dividing and creating strife in the online community is beyond my comprehension.

John P.
Frank S.
Rick B.
SAI
Chumps
STI

This is a bad idea, in my opinion... which I'm sure is worthless in this venue... but which will probably get me banned for at least short time for expressing it.

The Jackass

Wow Al....I'm disappointed!!!! WTF????? Where is my name???????? I better be on that list :)

I take a few months off to work on some things, pop back on here to do a bit of research, and bam.........

Don't take this the wrong way, but I sure as hell don't kiss Sam's ass. I am.... very thankful that Sam started this forum and I'm also thankful for the invitation Scott made for me to join the group when I had questions when I first started out..........

I have met some wonderful people on here whom I respect personally and professionally....yourself included.......

The direction this forum has gone in the last 2 or 3 months since I last joined in the debates is astonishing and I like what I see.

What is so bad about some friendly competition??????

John P.
Frank S.
Rick B.
SAI
Chumps
STI

The Jackass

I, personally would have put you in that lot al. There was a point in Mels post that says someone who angers you enough to bring you back again and again. That being said, I always read your posts.

When you are not wearing a tinfoil conspiracy hat, you actually have a ton of insight. For newcomers like myself it is the reason that we come here. I know that you will take this as a shot, it's not meant to be. You have a wealth of expertise and knowledge for us to draw from, but a majority of your posts are just, well, you crying foul.

I would actually hope that you take this as a compliment, and not make another snot snosed kid comment towards me. My point of this post is, I think you would be in the running for an award.

.....This is a bad idea, in my opinion... which I'm sure is worthless in this venue... but which will probably get me banned for at least short time for expressing it. The Jackass

My initial thought is it must be a good idea if Al thinks it is a bad idea.

but a majority of your posts are just, well, you crying foul.

I cried "foul" when I was a boy and joined the Freedom Riders.

I cried "foul" when I black citizens were not allowed to vote.

I cried "foul" during the Vietnam war era.

I cried "foul" during the Watergate scandal.

I cried "foul" on Iran-Contra

I cried "foul" on during the Clinton sex scandal.

I cried "foul" on the Iraq war.

I graduated from Mr. Jefferson's University (U.VA... class of 1969.) What would you have expected of me?

After a lifetime of reading history... and especially on July 4th... "crying foul" is not a bad thing to be doing. Our experiment in democracy was initiated by people who cried foul.

Al

What is so bad about some friendly competition??????

I see nothing good coming out of this... and I replied in kind.

Yes, I've been and will continue to be criticized for my position. However, the owner of the board asked for opinions (read the title of the thread) and I stand by what I wrote earlier.

However, if the owner of this board decides to embark on this path, that is his privilege... and I defend that privilege.

To quote Miss Jean Brodie, "For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like."

Al

Back