Grad School Full Time...Insurance Part Time? Can It Be Done?

AB21

I’ve been an insurance agent for nearly three years here in Iowa. I started out with MA’s and most recently went captive and have been selling life and annuities…..no longer selling nor interested in the MA products. In two months I’ll be moving to Long Beach, CA to attend graduate school full time to study medicine. Unfortunately, I will need to find a part time job to generate around $3000 (NET) per month to cover my living expenses. I like the flexibility insurance provides but I know it does take time to prospect, phone call, and run appointments. I’m estimating I will have approximately 20 hours per week to devote to a part time job. Is there an insurance product I could realistically work part time and generate the monthly income I need? I am licensed in California.

I have a friend that put himself through college selling insurance. When he got out he opened his own agency. I would say maybe just sell life and annuities as you can do that in the evenings but you will have to work at it to get the return you are looking for.

I’ve been an insurance agent for nearly three years here in Iowa. I started out with MA’s and most recently went captive and have been selling life and annuities…..no longer selling nor interested in the MA products. In two months I’ll be moving to Long Beach, CA to attend graduate school full time to study medicine. Unfortunately, I will need to find a part time job to generate around $3000 (NET) per month to cover my living expenses. I like the flexibility insurance provides but I know it does take time to prospect, phone call, and run appointments. I’m estimating I will have approximately 20 hours per week to devote to a part time job. Is there an insurance product I could realistically work part time and generate the monthly income I need? I am licensed in California.

I find it interesting that you have been an agent for three years and are on here asking that question. I can understand someone new to insurance asking that question but not an experienced agent.

Only you can answer that question. You should know by now what you have to do to generate $3,000 in net income each month. Is that something you can do part time with the experience and work ethic you have while going to grad school?

Very honestly, I believe it would be difficult for me to do. But then, I am not you. If you think you can do it then I would say go for it.

I would place very little value in what other agents here have to say. They aren't you either.

I hope you can because when the children are out of the house I have all intentions of going back to seminary and finishing my Masters of Divinity degree one day.

I finished my masters degree in Macro Economics while working full time at my practice.

I can assure you that I brought home more than 3K per month while doing this; so your expectations are reasonable.

It can be done, but it is difficult. Best of luck to you.

Yes, there are a lot of insurance products that you can focus on selling. That would be a great opportunity for additional income.

Latest posts

Back