Has Anybody Done a Radio Program?

I had my own radio show on a Christian radio station. I had to pay to be on, but how I did it was as a call in show for 1 hour every week. People would call in with their issues and I was happy to help them. You need to be up to date on current affairs in your state including legislative changes and things that will be voted on. Staying current and keeping it fun by talking general terminology will help. Insurance is boring unless you can make fun of it and how coverages change folks before coverage then after coverages. It was fun. I gave it up because it was costing too much to be on the air. But 1 hour a week was fun.

I had my own radio show on a Christian radio station. I had to pay to be on, but how I did it was as a call in show for 1 hour every week. People would call in with their issues and I was happy to help them. You need to be up to date on current affairs in your state including legislative changes and things that will be voted on. Staying current and keeping it fun by talking general terminology will help. Insurance is boring unless you can make fun of it and how coverages change folks before coverage then after coverages. It was fun. I gave it up because it was costing too much to be on the air. But 1 hour a week was fun.

The owner of the station is an old friend of the family, so cost is not an issue. The greatest expense (not counting my time) is going to be gas driving to and from the studio.

I have the option of pre-recording it or over the phone, but I prefer in person to begin with.

In person sounds better. Make sure you save your files too. You can use most of them again if this takes off and you are needing filler in case you cannot come in that day. Never reference whether it is a certain time of year, just in case you need to reuse the old recordings.

Find humor in insurance. Get a good email where people can email you questions too. What to talk about when no one calls? Get a few friends to call in. Give them some questions to ask you. It sometimes works to stew the pot then others will start calling in.

Make sure each segment, you have a different topic of conversation. Get in funny type music that will be used as your intro and exit music. If you make it fun, the show will be successful. If you make it dull, like when we go to class, people will tune out. Got o you tube and find funny videos you can talk about that will create the need for insurance.

Know your competitor's rates and other agents that sell stuff you don't. Befriend them and ask them on the show to tout what the do.

Get referral partners like auto mechanic shops, roofers, plumbers etc that can come on the show and talk about why insurance is so important for the oopses in life.

I've been a guest on several financial advisor shows discussing h.s.a's when they were new and was the expert resource.

Warrior gave u good advice on a lot of items, and having expert guests that don't do what you want to sell is a winner. Benefits both.

Talking medicare might cross many c.m.s. rules and would end up being too basic.

Go where the news and changes are a plenty and current......i.f.p. Obamacare replacement, but that's been my core biz. Everyone wants to hear your thoughts on that topic. Daily news cycle for years to come.

I did my first show yesterday. I was very nervous and found it hard to keep talking. Not being in front of someone was very unnerving.

Overall I think it went ok but it being radio it's almost impossible to judge what king of audience I had or their reaction. I did a 30 min spot and it went by faster that I anticipated. I was thinking maybe I should have gone with 60 mins. Maybe when I get more experience with radio.

The dj helped me to get going by asking a couple of questions. I split the time between Medicare and Preneed, but I think only one topic for the entire time would be better.

NOt being in front of someone bothers you to keep talking? Put up a picture of someone and talk to them, or bring on guests to talk to. remember, you are talking to an audience, not just to the person seated across from you. I hate shows that does not make me feel like I am part of their show. Get current clients to call and ask questions. Dont use real names for privacy, but get your friends to call in too. Give them questions to ask so you are able to show your caring attitude and smarts.

NOt being in front of someone bothers you to keep talking?

Oddly enough, it did. After answering the question, there was some time before the next one came in so I had to keep talking to fill in the time. Not having someone in front of me made it somewhat difficult to continue.

I hope that that'll change with practice.

Write down topics your going to discuss. I do not know how many hours your on, but make segments. 1st segment, talk about something 2nd segment, something else.

Answer fake questions you think people want to hear the answers to. Pretend someone emailed you a question. Tell your listening audience they can email or call you to have their questions answered too.

Each segment can be an hour long or if you do not have 3-4 hours on, 1/2 hour segments. No more than 4 segments between.

Think of funny stories that will tie your topic into place. Such as, I had a client who xyz and needed this and this is what happened when they didnt get it etc.

Why we need it, why we need to come to you for it, plain english, no heavy explanations. What state are you in?

Back