Has Anybody Done a Radio Program?

isaias

Super Genius
I have the opportunity to do a weekly radio program at a local station but have no experience at this type of activity.

I'm looking for ideas and experiences with what type of format it might take. I don't want to sit in front of a mic and talk about insurance for an hour and bore people to death (or tune to another station). Recently I was listening to a State Farm agent on the radio and he basically just repeated something about good neighbors over and over (followed by his phone number), never saying anything of value.

My primary focus is Medicare and Pre-need.

The cost is very economical so I'm looking at this as an opportunity to get a little more recognition in the community.

Consider information that would be of interest to your market, such as; changes to applicable laws and regs for your products, local issues such as programs for them, health care, fairs, forums, have write-in or call-in questions about your products or services. Good luck.

how long is each weekly segment? you mentioned an hour.... wasn't sure if you meant that literally or figuratively.

is this public or private radio?

what normally plays on this station when they're not selling air space?

need to focus on the answers of those three questions to develop a strategy.

Last edited:
I have a choice of 30 mins in the morning or 60 mins in the afternoon of airtime every saturday.

It's a public spanish AM christian station that normally plays music. It may not have the greatest audience in the area but I'm looking at it as a chance to experiment with radio. It's something that my father used to do some time ago and I always been curious as to how I would do.

I hate to sound discouraging, but unless by "very economical" you mean almost free, I would pass on it.

radio is tough. and 30 or 60 minute slots are too long for public radio. it comes off like an infomercial.

I guess trying it a couple times in 30 min segments wouldn't hurt. but I wouldn't put too much money into this. at best, you will break even with early segments.

I would think you could just explain how preneed works and then take questions. You could have a 2nd person there to ask honest questions if it isn't set up for call ins.
The public and even most agents just don't seem to understand much about preneed.
Do one topic a week for several weeks and see what you have from there.

One of the DJs is very interested in the topic and has offered to help in a interview type of format.

I was also thinking of getting another agent to help and have a conversation type of program between two or three of us. We can do call ins, so I'm also considering that.

I definitely don't want to sound like an infomercial or like the State Farm agent i heard on another station that in 30 mins he didn't say anything that is not in a State Farm commercial.

One of the DJs is very interested in the topic and has offered to help in a interview type of format.

I was also thinking of getting another agent to help and have a conversation type of program between two or three of us. We can do call ins, so I'm also considering that.

I definitely don't want to sound like an infomercial or like the State Farm agent i heard on another station that in 30 mins he didn't say anything that is not in a State Farm commercial.

I would have just an interested intelligent person asking questions. Having an agent asking questions would sound too staged.

If they don't ask the right questions it's easy to take the conversation where you need to go. Just lead them with: You are probably wondering about...

I would have just an interested intelligent person asking questions. Having an agent asking questions would sound too staged.

If they don't ask the right questions it's easy to take the conversation where you need to go. Just lead them with: You are probably wondering about...

The idea is for the other agent to help with the answers, not the questions. Since I'm new to radio my fear is that I would blank out and wouldn't know what to say, so having a backup to keep the conversation going would be a big help.

I'm with newby 100%

Credibility that will be gained from question and answer can make you the respected authority in your market.

It's a marketing resume builder.... you can leverage spin off ads, etc..."from our radio show"

Back