Help: Applied General Agency?

I believe that Kaufman22 would have to be a shill, a little too testimonial for my taste.

With regards to Applied General Agency, I wish I had an experience to even tell you about. I have had nothing but frustrations with them since I went to their sales presentation and signed on to be a broker for them. I went to a presentation in September of 2010 in San Jose. The gentlemen did a good job explaining the program. The plan was to gear up to sell Medicare Advantage, which AEP starts November 15. He said that they would actually provide appointments for you, not just leads, but appointments. If you make a sale, you get $50.00 deducted from your commission. Sounded great to me. I was told they had plenty of leads in Santa Clara County, which is close enough for me. Now 2 months later, after I am all certified with AHIP, and all the companies like Blue Cross, Health Net, Cigna, Humana, etc, all the ones they told me to get appointed with, now Applied GA is telling me they have NO leads in my area!!! They are telling me they have plenty of leads in Sacraments and Fresno though, and ask me if I would like to work there? Well, that is about 3 hours from me. Would you like to drive 3 hours ONE WAY to an appointment? Talk about incompetence!! Why does Applied GA go out of their way to do a seminar, say they can supply agents with leads in the area, and then right when Medicare Advantage start Nov 15, tell there agents they don't have leads in their area, even though I have been signed up for over 6 weeks with them? Talk about absurd! I am just so frustrated with them, because I had such high expectations based on what they explained from the beginning. I wish I say how good the leads were. If only I could get any! To the guy on here who really likes Applied GA, well good luck. You only got 15 applications in one year? How is that even possible? Were you doing the mailings or the pre-set appointments? In any case, that is my experience so far with Applied GA. Anyone reading this, well, be warned when they tell you they will be providing pre set appointments. They do have an option of a mail drop to your preffered area, which costs $720 for 2000 mailings.

just to add--i JUST had a VERY bad experience with these guys, in which their manager lied to me over and over, telling me that i would own my business and that AGA pays ALL their agents ALL their renewal income, regardless of whether they're still with the agency. He told me that AGA couldn't "cash checks with agents' names on them," implying that the ins co's send checks to AGA made out to the agent, and that AGA simply forwards the checks to the agent. Thank God i read the "agreement," which is on their website, and not part of the paperwork they have you sign in order to contract you, BEFORE i wrote any business with them, because it CLEARLY states that AGA has no obligation, legally, that is, to pay their agents ANYTHING. They can terminate your contract with a 30-day notice, and have no legal responsibility to pay you anything. That's fine if they tell agents that up-front, but they don't. Their manager lied to me over and over, telling me the sky was green, when i could clearly see that the contract stated that the sky was blue. I've had some bad experiences with IMO's/agencies in this industry before, but i've NEVER had anyone lie to me so blatantly. THESE GUYS ARE SHADY CHARACTERS. AGENTS--BEWARE.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
hey Kaufman--read your contract--you don't own your business--THEY do, and they have no obligation to pay you renewals if they decide one day they don't want to. You're simply building a stream of renewals for someone else. get out while you can

Last edited:
Link to actual agent/producer agreement with Applied GA

This is the most ridiculous agent contract I've ever seen. As in ever.

It is 22 pages long. Single spaced.
:SLEEP:

Why would an MGA need that much space to explain terms and conditions? (answer: to protect itself)

My favorite part:
If at any time this contract is terminated, either with cause or without cause, all future compensation to agent will immediately cease. See section 7.8

Sounds clear enough. Why all the fuss?
:no:

i spoke with kaufman, yesterday, he was working the mc donald drive thru window!.. he is working his way up to fry master.

Link to actual agent/producer agreement with Applied GA

This is the most ridiculous agent contract I've ever seen. As in ever.

It is 22 pages long. Single spaced.
:SLEEP:

Why would an MGA need that much space to explain terms and conditions? (answer: to protect itself)

My favorite part:
If at any time this contract is terminated, either with cause or without cause, all future compensation to agent will immediately cease. See section 7.8

Sounds clear enough. Why all the fuss?
:no:

when you do an AGA contract, are you a "solicitor" or "agent"?

Back