Help! I Need an Insurance Mentor Asap!!

CashFlow

I am a licensed agent for Life and Health in the state of WI. I recently have taken my WI Property and Casualty exam, passing only the Casualty portion and failing the Property portion. I have taken the WI Property exam six (6) times since, failing each after heavy studying and memorization. What am I doing wrong here? Am I missing pertinent information? Is this exam rigged to prevent me from success? I have had several really good job opportunities come and go because of my ineptitude. I am committed to getting my license, but I want this upcoming exam to be my last if I can help it. So, I am in need of an insurance mentor that can help me prepare for my upcoming exam properly. If anyone is willing to help me out, I would appreciate it very much. Please send me an e-mail via the forums with your contact information and I will get back in touch with you. Thank you very much!

I am a licensed agent for Life and Health in the state of WI. I recently have taken my WI Property and Casualty exam, passing only the Casualty portion and failing the Property portion. I have taken the WI Property exam six (6) times since, failing each after heavy studying and memorization. What am I doing wrong here? Am I missing pertinent information? Is this exam rigged to prevent me from success? I have had several really good job opportunities come and go because of my ineptitude. I am committed to getting my license, but I want this upcoming exam to be my last if I can help it. So, I am in need of an insurance mentor that can help me prepare for my upcoming exam properly. If anyone is willing to help me out, I would appreciate it very much. Please send me an e-mail via the forums with your contact information and I will get back in touch with you. Thank you very much!

How you gone back to the school where you did your pre-licensing at? most schools have a "come back and take the class again if you fail" policy. I believe Kapalan financial does.

It sounds like you did not take a preparatory course before taking the exam. If that is the case, then that is probably all that you need. With absolutely no prior knowledge or experience in P&C, I took the exam after a 2 or 3 day course (can't remember, 25 years ago) and breezed through the exam. One of the keys included in the course is taking several test exams to familiarize yourself with the types of questions and how they are asked. Once you are consistently passing the practice exams, then you should have no problem passing the actual licensing exam.

How you gone back to the school where you did your pre-licensing at? most schools have a "come back and take the class again if you fail" policy. I believe Kapalan financial does.
I took my prelicensing online after I gave my two weeks notice to the company I was working for.. I had that two week window to prepare and take the state exam and my hiring on at the new agency was contingent upon passing both parts. The actual class itself would have been after that two week window and thus too late for me at the time. After contacting the school itself, they told me the online course was a seperate entity and that I could not audit the actual class unless I plunked down money to to attend the live class and start over. Not only that, but I would have to retake my WI Casualty exam over as well, because the state sees it that way (that I am in essence starting over fresh) I was told. So, the online course cost me $400 itself, and to take the actual class would set me back another $300 or so.. then again I have nearly $500 spent on taking the exam and failing it six times, so maybe another $300 would be a wise investment.. the thing is I left one position for another, and now here I sit w/o any income, living off of my savings.. it's a wierd predicament I find myself in right now.. My savings is starting to run down and no agency will take me on in any capacity unless I have my P&C license.. so it becomes a vicious circle.. that is why I need to pass this exam once and for all, but I need someone to help me with preparing for it. The online course is out of state, so that wouldn't work for me. Obviously I have some trouble seeing the big picture when it comes to Property, thus I need the help of someone experienced who could guide me in the right direction.

Six times is a lot. What about just using your life license & find a company that you'd be willing to work for? Then maybe down the road retake the P&C.

Spend the $300 on the actual classroom course. You need someone who is an expert in teaching you how to pass the exam, not an expert in selling p&c. As a side note, the gentleman who took the course with me was the Benefits Marketing Mgr for the agency I was starting with, and he really didn't want to be in the class. With a minimal attention span and effort, he had no problem passing the exam either. If it is a good course, the instructor teaches you exactly what you need to know to pass the test and gives you a lot of useful tips and heads up information. I did the same thing a couple of months later for the life/health license. My two cents.

P&C is honestly a course that is best taken in a classroom setting. L&H can be done online, IMO.

There is just a LOT with P&C and you have to learn some commercial as a part of it, which can be a little challenging for people.

Not trying to be discouraging but you must not be very good at taking exams. If I knew you failed the exam 6 times I wouldn't hire you or would be very reluctant to do so. Are you sure this is a field for you?

Last edited:
Not trying to be discouraging but you must not be very good at taking exams. If I knew you failed the exam 6 times I wouldn't hire you or would be very reluctant to do so. Are you sure this is a field for you?
Absolutely it is the right field for me. I have spent over a year successfully working in Life & Health, but wanted to broaden my knowledge and tackle P&C. I earned my Life & Health licenses in short time as well as my Casualty.. why would I want to throw in the towel now? I am a well spoken, intelligent person that places value on learning and being open minded to continue learning. I have been in sales for 15 years but decided after a bad job loss in 2010 to take my down time and pursue insurance, which I had always thought about doing.. so yes, I do have the aptitude for this position, I work well with people and once I get into the P&C area coupled with my Life & Health, I think I will make a spectacular agent.

They're picking on you?
And their motivation to do that would be?

Lol.. I kind of meant that sarcastically of course.. I know the state is not picking on me but I had to throw that in for grins.. as far as a mentor's motivation.. well, why not? if we cannot impart our knowledge on to others then what are we here for?.. One day I hope to give back and mentor someone coming into the business as well.. read any book by Napoleon Hill sometime and learn what is called the Law of Compensation.. basically its the Golden Rule/Karma/what goes around comes around so to speak..

Back