Help! Want to Start an Independent Agency.

WHKH

Still working for a captive agent. Looking really hard into independent route for two reasons.
1. Really do not like having to push life insurance.
2. HATE telling people we do not insure in that area or we can not help you.

Working only 30-40 hours a week and going to school full time I produced about 290,000 in p&c premium. I know production will not be a problem.

Need to know where to start. How to start. Looking at agency equity it suggests insurance pro, integra and insurance zone direct. To have companies to start writing through as soon as you open up. Anything I should know about these companies.

Thank you in advance for your time, answers and suggestions.

It's not that hard really to get started..I'd takes as much info as I could on the accounts you wrote for the captive agent to start. There are options with either SIAA type or going totally on your own and contacting the independent companies yourself. Where are you located?

In Louisiana. Looking at all the different options such as SIAA are there any other suggestions besides them?

We just got licensed there. We have the Gulf carriers needed. We will be turning on our first agent there next week.

Give me a call.

Better yet call the National General rep there: Mike Migliore, the Godfather of Insurance. He knows EVERYONE in that state on the P&C side. He will be a great wealth of information.

Call Shawn walker premier is great just talk to any veterans who partner with them. SIAA charges you multiple fees for each state premier does not.

Why bother? If you want to be an independent agent that is a waste of time and resources.

I'll have to disagree but thanks for the input!

----------

We just got licensed there. We have the Gulf carriers needed. We will be turning on our first agent there next week.

Give me a call.

Better yet call the National General rep there: Mike Migliore, the Godfather of Insurance. He knows EVERYONE in that state on the P&C side. He will be a great wealth of information.

Thanks for the information will do if I have a deal that goes south

WHKH, Let me know if you want some advice as to the various options that might be available to you and for some other thoughts that might be helpful to you.

I do not charge for discussions.

Full disclosure: I do charge $350 for development of written marketing plans for agents and agencies, including two-years of free updates, if they choose to use my services for marketing plan development. No obligation.

However, I provide free advice to agents such as those in your situation, who are trying to wade through the many options related to set-up and markets acquisition.

Back