Horace Mann Questions

dfwagent

I am curious if anyone on here is (or ever has been) an agent for Horace Mann. From what I understand they will assign a book of business to you along with a territory. I was wondering if anyone knows what the maximum size book of business they will assign to someone. I was also wondering if anyone knows what their P&C rates look like in TX. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you so much!

I am not sure what the cap is but they won't let you buy more than one unless they really like you. Rates are normally good for teachers and terrible for everyone else. If they will give you book for free. It maybe worth it.

No idea what working for them is like but I'd guess it's pretty lax judging by how they handle claims.

A friend has coverage through them because his mom is a teacher and I guess family still gets a price break. 2 claims in the past year (1st one car was totaled while parked by a really bad storm, 2nd one he was rear-ended at a toll booth) both were total nightmares to deal with. He still keeps them because of the price but I'd have dropped them the first go-around no matter how much more my payments would have been.

If you're looking for a easy job to start up in I'm sure it could be a good opportunity but I don't think I could ever work for a company that functions the way they do.

No idea what working for them is like but I'd guess it's pretty lax judging by how they handle claims.

A friend has coverage through them because his mom is a teacher and I guess family still gets a price break. 2 claims in the past year (1st one car was totaled while parked by a really bad storm, 2nd one he was rear-ended at a toll booth) both were total nightmares to deal with. He still keeps them because of the price but I'd have dropped them the first go-around no matter how much more my payments would have been.

If you're looking for a easy job to start up in I'm sure it could be a good opportunity but I don't think I could ever work for a company that functions the way they do.

True..I am a current producer for Horace Mann and have been getting a lot of clients with claim issues. A big portion of their claims department were recruited by Geico leaving them having to outsource/hire temp claims adjusters. Hopefully things will get better for Horace Mann clients.

----------

I am curious if anyone on here is (or ever has been) an agent for Horace Mann. From what I understand they will assign a book of business to you along with a territory. I was wondering if anyone knows what the maximum size book of business they will assign to someone. I was also wondering if anyone knows what their P&C rates look like in TX. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you so much!

I am currently a licensed producer for Horace Mann. I do work very closely with the EA (Exclusive Agent) though. I am unsure of their maximum book size per agent, but as of right now my office (1 exclusive agent and 2 licensed producer) manage 4000+ households. There was a former LP who was given his own territory about a year ago. Don't remember the size of the book but his renewals upon receiving the book was around $60K a year ( P&C + L&A).

Unsure about the rates in Texas for P&C. From my experience, their rates can also vary by zipcode (especially in property). In my current area, we beat auto rates around 70% and property...well I only lost property quotes twice in the last 12 months.

If you plan to come on board soon, its quite a good timing (not recruiting you by any means). They're doing a LOT of system changes (we were considered running prehistoric quoting/application software. More lax underwriting, and best of all, higher compensation is coming!

Back