How Do You Judge Your Week?

souldeux

Guru
1000 Post Club
So, this is of absolutely zero consequence, no importance, and not one iota of meaning. But it's 6:15 on a Friday evening and I'm sitting here looking back at the week, trying to get a handle on how I did, and I got to wondering how you old pros do it.

If you're thinking to yourself, "woohoo, I sold nine policies this week," do you mean:

1. I had nine policies approved and issued this week
2. I had nine policies submitted this week
3. I convinced nine people to buy this week

This springs from a conversation between the lady and I about my week so far. I've submitted three apps this week, but two won't be issued for at least another two weeks and one was one I actually convinced the guy to buy a week ago but only got done today. So, depending on how you look at it, I sold either zero, two, or three (or five, I guess, I had two issued on Tuesday) this week.

Personally, I say I put three apps in this week, so I sold three policies this week. But if you were kicked back in your La-Z-Agent on a Friday evening having just had the week I did, what would you think?

Just curious. If you want to get really frisky, I've got a F2F on Sunday - count it as this week or next?

(Why yes, I know that this doesn't matter - and why no, I'm not looking for validation, I just thought it'd be an interesting discussion)

IMO, the only thing that really matters is how many applications did I submit, and how much commission I deposited in my account. Everything else is, in my opinion, not relevant.

When I was at NML we used to count a variety of numbers, appointments, opens, closes, and so on. I found it a great method of figuring out how busy I was, but not necessarily a great indicator of how much money I made as an agent.

Currently, I simply look at applications submitted as my criteria. Now I write most GI health (HIPAA or group) so my place rate is 100%, but even if I did mostly underwritten, I would still do it that way.

So, to me your week would be 3 submitted this week. I would balance that against my target for a week. If my target is 3 or less, good week. If more, not so good week.

I don't dwell on prospecting because it's too vague. I could talk to 100 people this week none of whom apply and no people next week 15 of whom apply from last week and other weeks past. Not worth it to me.

My rule is not less than 5 per week submitted cases for health insurance.

Number of apps means nothing.

You can't pay bills based on the number of apps submitted, number of leads you bought, number of people who said yes, number of people who promised to call you back, number of people who asked you to call them back, closing ratio, or any other meaningless stats.

The ONLY thing that matters is this.

How many people did you help by improving their situation (regardless of making a sale) and how much went into your bank account this week.

Can't recall who said it and I am too lazy to look it up. (After all, it is Friday). But someone said you can get anything you want as long as you are willing to help others get what they want.

For me, my job begins by helping as many people as I can each week. From that the dollars flow back to me.

Call it Karma if you wish.

All I know is it works.

Back