How Do You Motivate Your Agents

Sure, attitude is very important and attitude can be changed by proper training or lead. That is why motivation teacher has its place in society. But I know in order to change someone's attitude, someone has to have the internal desire to be changed and willing to follow the lead. That maybe called "coach-able". So the result of a person's attitude change is the result of interaction from both internal and external forces.

You have individuals that will only work for what they need. The trick is to find someone who is willing to work for what they want.

Have goal setting sessions, and have them within reach.

I will tell a quick story:

When I first got started in the insurance business I was like everyone else; broke.

My sales manager told me that I should spend $200 to go to this seminar with the rest of the office. I did not have the money, and had to borrow it from my girlfriend at the time; who is now my wife.

I went to the seminar and thought how stupid is this. I need to be out selling...........LOL

The gentleman at the seminar gave us all a sheet of paper, and told us to make a list of goals, and list them in 6 month intervals going out as far as 10 years. I made a very extensive list, and remember driving home thinking that I had just wasted this money on this stupid little seminar.

This was almost 10 years ago. About 3 years ago when my wife and I had just finished designing our dream home, and we were moving; I found this list that I had made several years before.

I say all of this to say this:

Even though I had forgotten what I had written on my GOAL sheet. I had forever engrained this in my brain, and it became a reality. Everything on that list.

There will be many who will say that this is impossible, or maybe just a coincidence. it could be! It did however, work for me. I hope this helps..........

You have individuals that will only work for what they need. The trick is to find someone who is willing to work for what they want.

Have goal setting sessions, and have them within reach.

I will tell a quick story:

When I first got started in the insurance business I was like everyone else; broke.

My sales manager told me that I should spend $200 to go to this seminar with the rest of the office. I did not have the money, and had to borrow it from my girlfriend at the time; who is now my wife.

I went to the seminar and thought how stupid is this. I need to be out selling...........LOL

The gentleman at the seminar gave us all a sheet of paper, and told us to make a list of goals, and list them in 6 month intervals going out as far as 10 years. I made a very extensive list, and remember driving home thinking that I had just wasted this money on this stupid little seminar.

This was almost 10 years ago. About 3 years ago when my wife and I had just finished designing our dream home, and we were moving; I found this list that I had made several years before.

I say all of this to say this:

Even though I had forgotten what I had written on my GOAL sheet. I had forever engrained this in my brain, and it became a reality. Everything on that list.

There will be many who will say that this is impossible, or maybe just a coincidence. it could be! It did however, work for me. I hope this helps..........
I like your story!
We see many job post requiring people goal oriented. There is a reason for it to be there.

Managers in our arena are typically their own worst enemies...they continue to recruit to fill vacanacies, rather than determine why they are leaving...Recruit to expand...or you will continue to recruit and train and wave goodbye to over 90% of your agents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Managers in our arena are typically their own worst enemies...they continue to recruit to fill vacanacies, rather than determine why they are leaving...Recruit to expand...or you will continue to recruit and train and wave goodbye to over 90% of your agents.
The other side of the coin showed 90% agents failed. That is the statistics. In order to get one good agent, the manager has to hire 10 agents. You cannot fight the statistics. So you should be always looking for recruits and hopefully you find one good agent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Zig's better:

“Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude”

Let's add another sentence to the original:
Your actions, not your speeches, will ensure you to reach your altitude.

Let's not forget that your attitude will generally dictate your actions.

If you're attitude sucks, do you think you'll really take action? Not likely.

“Your actions, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude”

Back