How Do You Motivate Your Agents

pomfin

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
In addition to the giving good contract to the agent who producing, what other ways you do to motivate agents to do more. I find many agents lost their interests very fast, not doing enough volume to be productive.

In addition to the giving good contract to the agent who producing, what other ways you do to motivate agents to do more. I find many agents lost their interests very fast, not doing enough volume to be productive.

Find agents who already are top producers, and you won't have this problem.

In general I would suspect John is right. I have never hired agents, but do know what has helped me personally. Having a 5 year plan laid out with short term benchmarks (quarterly), then having weekly/daily goals to meet. For the short term weekly/daily goals, if I do X, I give myself Y.

From a managers perspective, I would think helping them develop a five year goal of where they want to be and helping them set realistic benchmarks along the way, showing them what needs to be done daily to reach them at a steady pace (not unrealistic) would be about the most you could do.

Offering rewards or contests or using fear motivation probably will be extremely limited. That being said, a weekly group sales meeting where everyone reports their numbers probably wouldn't hurt (I've never been apart of the environment, but could see where it would be motivating).

You can always bonus your top agents with a spiff. I never produced to win bonuses or trips but I love 'em.

Avoid making bonuses for your agents carrier specific. This often encourages them to write the wrong plans. Instead, make it based on overall volume.

I can only speak from an agent's perspective on this ..

Good producers never want any training or leads. They find their own. They want respect, recognition (bonuses, awards, higher contracts - again it's not the money but the recognition) and help with designing more advanced cases.

Those who whine about lack of training and leads, rarely do better when they get them. Just a personal observation.

I've managed over 500 agents in 13 states, and all of them are motivated by one thing! Money! My advice to you is to consistantly have new exiting products to allow your agents to make more income. Try using MSS product with your agents in the senior market. It will get them earning commissions on every appointment regardless of close. This will motivate them to see more prospects every week thus increasing over all production. Good Luck to you!

I've managed over 500 agents in 13 states, and all of them are motivated by one thing! Money! My advice to you is to consistantly have new exiting products to allow your agents to make more income. Try using MSS product with your agents in the senior market. It will get them earning commissions on every appointment regardless of close. This will motivate them to see more prospects every week thus increasing over all production. Good Luck to you!

Interesting. How could that be to earn commission without close? Could you give a little more details on that? We are in FE/Term/UL/WL business and have not enter the Medicare Sup. yet.

Interesting. How could that be to earn commission without close? Could you give a little more details on that? We are in FE/Term/UL/WL business and have not enter the Medicare Sup. yet.

You can't earn commissions without a close.

Med Supp appointments are a much easier way to sell FE insurance. The reason? Med Supps are a lot easier to prospect for and get appointments for.

Once you save a prospect money on their Med Supp all you have to do it point out that is might be wise for them to invest that savings in a FE policy.

Take a business management class, read some books on leadership. No single post will help you if your not willing to help yourself.

Your question is not so much about "motivation" which is temporary, but proper agent development and conditioning. Talk to another successful GA and replicate his model.

Also don't think there is some magic bullet to instill work ethic, belief and conviction in everyone. Recruiting is a numbers game, and somehow bigger teams always have better retention, culture and energy. Work on YOU and won't have to pretend you don't need them more then they need you. I know this isn't the easy answer but hopefully you'll get more out of my responce then someone saying "money" this or "lost cause" that.

Back