I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent

Usfbulls25

I have been in the P&C business (Claims-Management) for 15 years. I am very familiar with the P&C product. I am thinking about becoming and Allstate agent in the Florida market.

I wanted to get opinions from past or current Allstate agents. What is the culture like? I am a very inner-driven person; so how can that carry over into becoming an Allstate agent along with making $?

Any suggestions?

I would do your due diligence when looking into Allstate or any captive P&C company. All the captive agents are getting killed right now with all the home owners non-renewals.

I just sold a policy to an Allstate agency owner if that tells you anything.

I previously read those posts, but they are about 2 years old. I was wondering if the climate has changed. I know agents in Florida can broker HO policies. I definately would by an existing book and then grow the business.

I guess I am more concerned with the cross selling of financial products verus just focusing on the P&C side.

They told me that I need to obtain my series 6 within 2 years.

If you are considering joining Allstate you may want to speak with Billy Williams with InspireAnation.com. He could cover pros and cons with you.

I hear you should run from Allstate. I can't be comfortable with a company that "fires" you after building a book of businesses and deciding to sit on it. That's one of the perks of selling insurance. Grow a big book, hire a team and a office manager and let them run it.
Those "Good Hands" are Pimp Hands...

I am a retired Allstate agent working as an independent now. Sold my BOB after over 27 years.

Was a good marriage for me but for new hires, it's an uphill battle with expected results always hanging over your head.

Could be a very successful experience if you are willing to spend money to get your numbers. Make certain you do a business plan and that you have enough capital to make it work.

What do you mean by "inner driven"?

NEGATORY!!!

They may offer attractive incentives for new agents but after awhile you become a slave as far as I know.

My agent's father has been an agent for 25+ years and he's always fuming about what they require of him. Recently they have had many rate increases. They create new products and shut down old ones. The restrictions are rediculous right now. You might as well not call Allstate for a rate unless you have excellent credit and 100/300 prior limits for 20 years straight with 0 tickets and accidents.

My agent started an independent agency from scratch after working under his dad for a few years. His father would start an independent agency if he had to do it all over again. I couldn't tell you about other captive agencies.

Independent agencies have their own flaws though. I think the support you get from starting a captive agency is really good though.

Back