"I Need to Think About It"

Praeter

Expert
We get this a lot as an objection which isn't a big deal as it's going to happen. For me, I have been getting this response not after closing, but during a different part of the conversation which seems to shut the door. As an example, here is a conversation I just had.

prospect: We pay about $400/m for both cars and the house.
me: our coverage is __ for __ your payment for the auto is $173/m. Tell me about your house...
prospect: house stuff....
me: Sounds good! We'll have an inspector confirm the sq. ft. of your house, garage, etc. Does that sound good?
prospect: I need to think about it....

If this happened once, or maybe twice I'd pass it off, but it's happened 5+ times in the last week which makes me think it's my delivery. Can anyone point out where I'm going wrong and make suggestions on a better way to bring up there will be an inspection?

Obviously, you're intro is solid if you are engaging in conversation. I'd assume there's a misstep in your presentation causing this stall, tough to diagnose with only seeing the truncated portion of your conversation.

I'd suggest you drop the "does that sound good?" line, since it seems as though you're seeking approval and instead you should assume the sale more. If you're saving them money with equal to or better coverage and this is part of that process, why ask if it sounds good?

The reason they need to "think about it" can be because you have not proved your expertise to them, or gained their trust so they aren't sure they want to commit. Again, there are possibly factors that we can't see/hear with what you wrote here.

It also sounds like you might be quickly trying to get them to commit. You're a voice over the phone, don't rush through and try to get to the sale/appointment, nurture your clients and they will grow into referrals and repeat business. They must trust you in order to do business with you.

PS: You can alway say what I call the 6 magic words "What exactly makes you say that?" At least by saying this you'll be able to dig deeper to get a response or explanation as to why they "want to think about it."

We get this a lot as an objection which isn't a big deal as it's going to happen. For me, I have been getting this response not after closing, but during a different part of the conversation which seems to shut the door. As an example, here is a conversation I just had.

me: our coverage is __ for __ your payment for the auto is $173/m. Tell me about your house...
me: Sounds good! We'll have an inspector confirm the sq. ft. of your house, garage, etc. Does that sound good?

If this happened once, or maybe twice I'd pass it off, but it's happened 5+ times in the last week which makes me think it's my delivery. Can anyone point out where I'm going wrong and make suggestions on a better way to bring up there will be an inspection?

This is coming from a life agent...

It sounds like you really haven't gotten any agreement on anything yet, and that is why you are getting this objection. You've condensed this, so I can only go by what you have typed, but you aren't indicating the prospect agreed to and liked your auto quote. You also aren't indicating they agreed to any home quote. Why in the world would they let an inspector come by to check out their house if they aren't excited about your quote and switching to you? I would think the inspection is the last step.

It would be like ordering the exam and APS on a prospect that hasn't even agreed to sign an application yet. Why in the world would they submit to the exam if they are undecided about even applying? Same here, you want to examine their house, and it sounds like there isn't any agreement that your offer is attractive.

What are you selling?

Why not ask permission to talk about budget upfront, so you can determine yourself if it's worth your valuable time to sell them?
P&C only. I'm captive so I cannot shop prospects strictly for price unfortunately, but I see what you are saying about discussing budget right up front so I will give that a shot today during my calls.

As soon as inspection is mentioned there seems to be a wall put up immediately. I make it sound like it's not a big deal, but it always turns into one. My manager's opinion is most people assume there is a fee or they are just concerned about what someone will see, but it doesn't help with figuring out how to get past this little road block.

P&C only. I'm captive so I cannot shop prospects strictly for price unfortunately, but I see what you are saying about discussing budget right up front so I will give that a shot today during my calls.

As soon as inspection is mentioned there seems to be a wall put up immediately. I make it sound like it's not a big deal, but it always turns into one. My manager's opinion is most people assume there is a fee or they are just concerned about what someone will see, but it doesn't help with figuring out how to get past this little road block.

At this point, you probably fear the inspection and it shows to the prospect. So now they fear it. Also, are inspections the norm in your state? If not, that is probably part of it too. If no one has ever had inspect their home before, they see it as unusual and that something might be wrong.

Robliano, thanks for the insight. Very spot on. VolAgent, your point is valid. I agree too that without hearing a live call it's hard to diagnose the exact issue.

I never transition into the home quote until I feel for certain they are happy with the auto quote. Looking back, it easily can appear rushed to transition that fast.

About the inspection being last, that is correct, for the most part. We have to rework the quote based on the inspectors findings and repl. value, which always seems to be 10% or higher versus our quotes no matter what!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Inspections are normal so any homeowner in Michigan "should" be used to it as they've went through it at least once.

I see what you're saying regarding sounding scared in my tone or delivery. I'll bring more confidence to the table with my calls.

Last edited:

This is what I would think if I heard you say that to me. "I just met you and now you're telling me a stranger is coming to my house to inspect it? That isn't going to happen."

On the same note, why do they need an inspector? I don't think anyone has ever come to my house to inspect for my home insurance.

This is what I would think if I heard you say that to me. "I just met you and now you're telling me a stranger is coming to my house to inspect it? That isn't going to happen."

On the same note, why do they need an inspector? I don't think anyone has ever come to my house to inspect for my home insurance.
Great point from your first paragraph. Regarding why an inspector is needed? To confirm square footage, siding type, etc etc and to confirm the house is insurable. Allstate uses independent contractors for inspections. While I was at State Farm, agents would just go snap some pictures of the house and then submit it to underwriting which then determine if the house is insurable.

I see a trend from the responses so far, that it appears I am rushing into the home inspection. To be candid, this is the way I was trained and I just don't know any better. To those that do market p&c daily, how do you transition from auto to the home and how is your delivery?

If you don't already, I would integrate some trial close / test the waters questions into the conversation, but be sincere with them, such as:

"How does what I can do fit with what you're looking for so far" or "Does my program seem to be a match for you so far".

Back