If You Want to Succeed, Get Out of Your Own Way

VolAgent

Guru
5000 Post Club
One of the biggest obstacles to success in life is perhaps one of the least discussed.

Stop being self-destructive.

Time and time again, we get in our own way. We feel slighted for some reason, real or perceived, and go off the deep end. Instead of taking the high road and being mature about it, we decide to engage in petty and self-destructive behavior.

Research is showing that people decide very quickly whether they will trust you or not. After that, it is yours to ruin. This is especially the case with interested and qualified prospects. Whether it be that lead you paid for, the lead off your site, a referral from a client or COI, or the guy who found you in the yellow pages or walked into your office. All of these people are showing a desire to do business with you.

All we as agents need to do sometimes is just shut up and listen. They will tell us what we need to do to get their business. And sometimes words will come out of their mouths that hurt our feelings for some reason. Unless it is something is just blatantly wrong, let it go. Get your satisfaction when you are cashing the commission check for their policy.

Great post. I've heard many many calls of my agents sell themselves out of a deal.

You have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak.

The best agents ask the right questions and allow the prospect to sell themselves.

Just make it easy for the prospect to become a client.

Ask good open-ended questions, force yourself to listen longer than you think, and trial close them on your concept.

This applies not only to business, but life in general. We all are so quick to evaluate what someone else says and judge "what it means". If someone is rude to you or says something offensive, does it mean they are a bad person? Nah... most of the time it means they are having a bad day, or have something negative occurring in their personal life. Let it go.

It's all how you look at it. I keep this in mind as I am cold calling.

Great post. I've heard many many calls of my agents sell themselves out of a deal.

You have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak.

The best agents ask the right questions and allow the prospect to sell themselves.

We do most of our selling over the phone and the biggest obstacle for new agents is talking past the close. I have a big sign that says "did I answer all your questions, great, did you want to pay in full or monthly eft's"? If you have a great product with competitive rates, you just need to ask for the sale.

Great post.

I have my agents ask them "is ------ in your budget? Great, what address would you like the policy mailed to?"

HIC Group nailed it. And when you think you might want to respond...wait another few seconds and you'd be surprised the client will talk themselves into a policy. Good stuff!!!

Back