Is this Illiegal or Just Un-ethical

Heather

Guru
100+ Post Club
NY
I found out the town is spending 32k a year on health insurance per employee, sounds like a lot to me. Then I find out one of the councilman is a partner at one of the largest agencies in the county who made the sale. He voted for this insurance. He may have not signed anything but he is sure as hell profiting off of this. There was no bidding allowed either by other insurance agents. Isn't this illegal?

32k per year for health insurance does appear to be high. Are you sure that number does not include other benefit expenses?

On the surface, it does not appear to be illegal or unethical, do you have evidence of either?

I was an agent in a town in the Florida Panhandle with the same exact situation. I was going to say something about it but decided to let it be.

In my case, in addition, this huge GA also "sold" life insurance policies to each town employee and I could have easily beat those rates.

Highly unethical in my view and these services should have been sent out for "bid".

I was an agent in a town in the Florida Panhandle with the same exact situation. I was going to say something about it but decided to let it be.

In my case, in addition, this huge GA also "sold" life insurance policies to each town employee and I could have easily beat those rates.

Highly unethical in my view and these services should have been sent out for "bid".

I believe that's called politics.;)

32k per year for health insurance does appear to be high. Are you sure that number does not include other benefit expenses?

On the surface, it does not appear to be illegal or unethical, do you have evidence of either?

I was thinking the same thing. If they are paying $32k per employee, either they are spending way too much on health insurance or it includes other benefits.

However, I personally believe if the agent voted in favor of using his agency then that is very unethical. He should have recused himself from voting. But I would take it a step further and say no council person should benefit outside his/her pay as a public servant. Unfortunately this type of thing happens in towns all over the country.

I found out the town is spending 32k a year on health insurance per employee, sounds like a lot to me. Then I find out one of the councilman is a partner at one of the largest agencies in the county who made the sale. He voted for this insurance. He may have not signed anything but he is sure as hell profiting off of this. There was no bidding allowed either by other insurance agents. Isn't this illegal?

Could you provide more info, such as name of town, name of councilman, when did this occur, etc.

just health, does not include dental or vision or life insurance.

I got all the data from the union rep. There is a lot of other shady stuff going on with missing money, favors, and just plain greed.

just health, does not include dental or vision or life insurance.

I got all the data from the union rep. There is a lot of other shady stuff going on with missing money, favors, and just plain greed.

Has the union rep gone public with this? Seems strange that he would confide to you and no one else, at least publically.

"Illegal" would vary from State to State.

"Un-ethical" is universal. I can't believe it's even a question.

This person should have recused themselves from the vote ( and probably still have been awarded the contract )

Their political opponent for the next election is going to beat them over the head with this.

Back