Independent Agent Business Card

DaveTheInsGuy

Expert
I am a newly independent agent, and am currently working on making my business card. i am using Vista Print, I have heard good things about them.

Few questions about what to put on it.:

I am trying to keep it simple, I have always believed in the KISS principle.

1) Do most independent agents create a name for their company to put on their card? ie: "Name insurance Group" or just put "Name insurance agent" on the top of the card?

2) address. i dont have an office, I just work out of my home. I feel that putting an address on the card helps create the appearance of professionalism. Is it a good idea to put my home/office address on the card?

Putting your home address on a business card is a bit frightening. What if you put your card in a fast food fish bowl - in the hopes to win a free taco - now all the fast food workers know where you live!

You could always get a PO box or executive suite in order to get a business address.

I have a DBA and regret using one. I we are down playing it on cards and stationary. My clients know my name not the DBA. So I would use my name

I have had an outside office and a home office. I always print a PO Box and an 800 # those have been constant for close to 20 years.

Home is fine. Don't over worry it.

If you don't have a name for your company (yes, you are a company) give it some thought. Unfortunately or fortunately for me, I had to decide on the spot the name of my business because I was setting up my telephones and they asked for a name. Hadn't thought of it till that point. Thus a name was born and I've used for the past 24 years.

I use my name. Ultimately, whether you're "The ABC Group" or "Integrated Blah Blah Blah Concepts" or "Billy Bob and Associates", it still comes down to you.

I closed my office a few years ago and use a UPS store for my mailing address. It's around $200 a year and I know my business mail and UPS / FedEx deliveries are taken care of.

My clients know I do all my office work at my home office, so the UPS deal isn't for trying to fool someone into thinking I have an office.

While my situation is somewhat different, it's also the same. I would never put my home address on the card. (And I do work from home.) You'll find out for every 199 nice people you deal with, there's 1 nutcase you wish would leave you alone. Declined insurance, declined claim, messed up checking withdraw, something just didn't go their way and they've decided you are the target of their rage. Your explanation doesn't connect or only makes them more upset. It's nice to be able to walk away from that after business hours and know there won't be a knock on the door at 8PM.

Some people are just not reasonable. They are not good customers. You do not want them at your home. Like WinoBlues says, set up a PO Box if that's your only option.

Last edited:
This is my card. If you want to use my pic, I expect a commission split. On the cards, if you decide to use a picture, use a thick glossy card stock. there are many online printers that are comparable to Vistaprint. U-Printing, 123Print, etc.

Attachments

• Uprinting proof 2.pdf
    666.4 KB · Views: 207
I have a DBA and regret using one. I we are down playing it on cards and stationary. My clients know my name not the DBA. So I would use my name

I have had an outside office and a home office. I always print a PO Box and an 800 # those have been constant for close to 20 years.

.......what is a DBA?

Well you might change the design later..just get one done.
Name, P o Box address, phone and your email and web site.

Back