Indy Startup in Nj Possible?

gbower

Hi Guys

I am a lurker. By way of background, I was a partner in an Allstate agency in 2011. Was there for two years and the managing partner had severe financial difficulty. I bailed and wrote with a bigger independent broker. I was raising my kids and did it part time. Now my kids are bigger and I'm flirting with the idea of starting up something on my own. I've contacted Smartchoice and SIAA in NJ and am mulling over the decision (anyone with experience with either?). I love working with people, generating new clients seems a bit harder than it used to be. Networking is key I know and I contact two new people daily to do so. My question is: am I crazy? Is this possible? I love insurance actually but the climate seems like it's changed in the last two years. Any input I would welcome. Thanks in advance!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hi Guys

I am a lurker. By way of background, I was a partner in an Allstate agency in 2011. Was there for two years and the managing partner had severe financial difficulty. I bailed and wrote with a bigger independent broker. I was raising my kids and did it part time. Now my kids are bigger and I'm flirting with the idea of starting up something on my own. I've contacted Smartchoice and SIAA in NJ and am mulling over the decision (anyone with experience with either?). I love working with people, generating new clients seems a bit harder than it used to be. Networking is key I know and I contact two new people daily to do so. My question is: am I crazy? Is this possible? I love insurance actually but the climate seems like it's changed in the last two years. Any input I would welcome. Thanks in advance!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes you are crazy...:goofy:
#1 You live in NJ
#2 You have to contact more than 2 people per day.
#3 There are other activities which will generate more folks to see
a. door knock B2B
b buy a list for your demographics / niche and start calling and introducing your self.
#4 Also take advice from people from NJ with a grain of salt:swoon:

Bower,

Most important aspect of this business is you have to believe in yourself and you are doing the right thing. Always be positive and always be learning..
Don't anyone tell you this is crazy or the business is too saturated especially your competitor..the less competition, the better for them-right? No matter what business you enter, you will always gonna face competition.

You are not crazy...My wife told me I was crazy. Actually, I was crazy for leaving a good paying job with all the security of having a salaried position but I had enough making money for others....

1st year, you will try to talk yourself out because you are making no money but it will get better as years go by..

PM me your phone #..we can talk more. Yes...Im in NJ

Last edited:
I agree that saturation should never be a reason not to. I'm sure it varies by state, but in my home state of sc, 2/3 of all auto business and more than half of homeowners premium is written by captives and direct writers. IA's won't be stepping on one another's toes, at least in terms of personal lines.

I would also recommend considering ALL your choices for groups to join. Everyone is different, but I would never sign a contract with smart choice.

Hey Jerry, you are right...I am crazy to live in this state of most taxed and waste. I will be looking to move down south like NC or SC in few years...

Back