Initial License in New Hampshire Denied Due to Background?

zkr500

Hi I am just getting started in the Insurance Field as an Agent. I am concerned however about my initial License in the State of New Hampshire because I had to answer 'yes' to one of the background questions - "have you ever been convicted of any crime?"

Since I answered yes, I had to send additional documentation of all my charges and disposition documents. I also had to submit a written explanation electronically. I am now extremely nervous that I will be denied only on the basis of my background.

I did note however in my explanation that all my crimes resulted from 'stupid reactions/choices' during hostile, stressful situations (i.e. fights) and that I have sinced changed and repayed my debt to society. And that I have further never been charged with a financial crime.

I have already been hired by a company, we are now only waiting on the license before I am appointed. My boss told me that they would probably not deny and that I don't have a reason to worry.

Am I ok and good to go? What is the likelihood that they would deny me the license only because of this criminal record?

I wouldn't sweat it too hard. Most managers have seen applications that could be far worse than yours. If he says, "Don't sweat it.", then don't. How long before you know what the state decides?

I wouldn't sweat it too hard. Most managers have seen applications that could be far worse than yours. If he says, "Don't sweat it.", then don't. How long before you know what the state decides?

I agree. I think you will be approved.

It's usually financial crimes, or extreme moral turpitude (i.e. pedophilia et al) that they will use as a basis for denying a license. I wouldn't worry...

Felonies and crimes of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing, etc) are the ones they're going to be worked up about. You can always give them a call and ask what they think.

Also, what company did you get "hired" by? We might be able to save you a stressful situation :)

Yes, I hope that it indeed is so. Because I did have a couple of felonies but they were 6 years ago.

I didn't really hide anything, since there was more than 1 charge by some of those incidents, I just gave the documentation of the most serious charges. Not everything, but I did give a description in my explanation.

I was told by my boss that they usually make a decision in 2 days. I was also told by him to keep calling everyday and ask them if they've decided.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Felonies and crimes of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing, etc) are the ones they're going to be worked up about. You can always give them a call and ask what they think.

Also, what company did you get "hired" by? We might be able to save you a stressful situation :)

Fortunately no moral turpitude here if that's the definition but I did have a couple of felonies. They have all been resolved, and I already served my time on those. I tried to give a very neat explanation just by saying that it was all past me, and that it was just some bad chocies in the heat of the moment during fight/argument situations. And why I dont feel it should stand in the way of my License. But of course, just as with all crimes, it looks bad on paper, and I had to submit those documents.

The company is actually an alliance of insurers, you wouldnt recognize the name if I told you. :)

Last edited:
It's usually financial crimes, or extreme moral turpitude (i.e. pedophilia et al) that they will use as a basis for denying a license. I wouldn't worry...

I would include, murder, rape, manslaughter, vehicular homicide, aggravated assault among others that tend to have a negative impact on licensing. Although some years I knew a guy who was licensed even though he had been convicted of jury tampering!

I would include, murder, rape, manslaughter, vehicular homicide, aggravated assault among others that tend to have a negative impact on licensing. Although some years I knew a guy who was licensed even though he had been convicted of jury tampering!

I lied on my taxe a lot. Does that count?

I also speed in my car, everyday.

Latest posts

Back