Jump Ship from Combined Insurance Now?

adj136

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and am looking for advice about my situation. I have been selling life and health products for the last year. While I have been selling supplemental products for Combined Insurance for the past eight weeks. The sales school was excellent, and I was excited to work for this company. However, this has changed after returning from sales school, and receiving on the job training from my manager

He is highly praised for bringing in consistent sales for our division, and upper management considers him as one of their own. Therefore, he is given more leeway that the other managers within the division. He has been bullying me, and belittling since my second week of working with Combined. I am not sure if this stemmed from me leaving from his out of town training week due to being ill. He essentially shouted at me about that week being a huge opportunity for me to sell. During this time, he embarrassed me in front of a customer while I was completing their application. I called him out on it, and he just shut me down.

After I returned home, he has essentially ignored me for the month. Whenever I had a question he would take hours to answer me, and speak to me in a condescending tone. During a meeting, he embarrassed me by explaining how I had my business cards sent to the wrong location, note that I asked him where I should have them mailed but he ignored my question.

Things came to a head last during another division wide training session that was out of town again. There were fifteen other agents present, and they all received help from other managers. As a result, they netted a large amount of money in commissions. My manager tells me that I was not going to have a manager for the week, but to just benefit from the controlled environment and just work. Three other people in my team were supposed to do the same. However, I learned this last minute, and the other managers asked me why I wasn't paired with a manager. I told them what my manager told me, and they asked him. He just brushed them off, and gave the excuse that my progress was just slow. Note at this point, I had only learned to sell by observing him and he never evaluated me.

My sales were lacking at that point, and the entire experience was embarrassing to be the only agent with being paired with a manager. I was finally paired with a another manager last Friday, and was able to make one more sale. Then this past Saturday, my manager convinces me to meet with him to see if I could make anymore sales. I feel this was just an effort to save face after he received pressure from his management.

I requested a team change from my marketing director, and was shut down. The other manager flip flopped after suggesting that I leave my current team. Then, my manager promptly yelled at me yesterday and today about trying to leave the team. I made only $15 in commission last week, he knew that I needed help but barely did anything. I have been gaslighted into that I should be lucky and grateful that my manager took out the time to try to help me. However, he usually works on Saturdays anyway. I am ready to leave, and pursue other opportunities at this point. Any advice?

First, Combined Insurance takes 'micro-management' to an EXTREME level. That's a company culture thing.

When your manager yells at you, it's generally going to be because HE was also yelled at... for the same reasons.

The FACT that you left during your 'manager team-up' week because you were ill... is a big deal to his managers. That was a time for HIM to 'shine' and make you AND HIM look good. That's the company culture.

I take it that your PMA has PMS?

Combined Insurance isn't necessarily a 'career' position. Lots of turnover. If (and when) you decide to leave... what will you do then?

This manager doesn't want you and is not going to help you succeed.

It's time to move on. It's not worth trying to save your current situation. Learn as much as you can while you're still there and seeking new opportunities. Research what type of business that you want to focus on and assess your financial situation to see if you can afford going out on your own or if you'll need something with an employee paycheck.

Ha! he's probably still there

Lol. He was still there 2 years ago I know. I met him in Chicago. A unique individual to say the least. Im willing to bet he could still sell though.

I got drunk with him in Michael Jordan's bar. Or at least I was drunk. He's a hyper little dude.

I wanted to get the experience of selling life and health insurance for one company. I can say that Combined has taught me to sell.

Back