Lawsuit Filed Against State Farm

I was looking into State Farm, this class action gives me pause. I understand many agencies are doing well, but where's there's smoke...

ASU 67, I'm starting the SF Agent Training Process. I came on this forum looking for an example of the Autobiography I have to write. As an experienced State Farm Agent, what advice would you give a "newbie"? Haven't been called that since I joined the Army in 1987.

Hi Newbie. I actually hired 15 new agents and 14 are still in business. It says more about them than me. If I was going to start again today and never had any insurance business experience I would probably do several things. 1st I would take the time to visit several New agents (less than 2 years) who are successful in marketing and selling auto, life and mutual funds. Also the visits should be with agents who have similar demographics and similar challenges meaning book of business and expense challenges. It is more difficult to start up an agency today than it was 30 years ago. Customer loyalty and market competition are so different and "things" turn on a dime. Also unless you only want to work with State Farm then I would look into other companies and examine your state insurance market to see which companies have the most opportunities, thus improving your chances of success. my experience with State Farm has been exceptional but you cannot judge future success through my eyes. Lots to say and this forum is not long enough. Please free to write back. All the best.

ASU67, Thanks for the advice. My recruiter gave me the names of several agents near my home and suggested I speak with them. I'm a little concerned about agent density in my area and I don't want to move. Thanks again for the help. I'll take all the advice I can get right now...from reputable sources, of course.

Personally, I can't wait to see former insurance company employees flip and become whistleblowers against this form of legalized gambling. As we all know in the gambling world it's rigged so the house always turns the greater profit, the biggest expense is getting suckers in the door. So all disgruntled agents, start leaking secrets of criminal or civil misconduct/activity out to the mass public and I think you'll start to see your companies come to there senses, plus you can get the guilt off of your chests for the bad choices you made that affected innocent policyholders.

----------

Not a company man. An agent near Charlotte. Age 67. Was an agent 14 years then agency manager then AFE then back to agency for last 10 years. It's been a great ride however the market conditions have changed with more competitive conditions and it is much more difficult for an agent to be successful now than it was 36 years ago. The business model today is much different and everyone is not going to be successful due to varying skill levels of new agents. I have observed some new agents blowing others out of the water while others sink. My observation is that just like all other "store front" businesses some make it and some don't. Is State Farm perfect? No! Because people are not perfect. Is life fair? No! When I came back to agency I did not get a big book of business like others. Did it bother me at the time? Yes however I was grateful as I do not know many companies that would have done the same thing and allowed retiring AFEs to rejoin the company in personal production. I can only do things that affect my future and everyday when I wake up I count my blessings.

Just to be clear to everyone, I am NOT saying that this is the case, but you all do know that major corporations hire other agencies to help protect their reputations on the Internet. So a person could claim to not be a company person, yet still be doing the job of a company person.

Back