I have used ACT for year, then I though developers were getting behind with catching up with the market. I looked in to Sales Force but I thought it is just not worth the money.
Then I found out about SugarCRM and in my opinion there is nothing comes close to it, some of the companies that use it are H&R Block, Coca Cola, State of Oregon, AVIS and on and on and on.
And the best of all it is 100% FREE, Because it is Open Source here is a Wikipedia link if you not sure what that means. Open_source
Here is the link for the software SugarForge: Open Source CRM, CRM software, CRM Open Source, opensource CRM, SugarCRM
It has to be installed on your web hosting server. If you have a website chances are you might already be able to install in. This way instead of running it of your computer it is always available to you any where in the world.
If you do not have hosting space, these days it is dirt cheap $6 to $7 per month. The one I use is HostMonster.
With hosting account you can install SugarCRM with once click.
Here are the steps:
1. Log in to your main hosting control panel called "cPanel". You going to see a lot of icons.
2. Then scroll down and click on the Icon that says "Simple Scripts"
3. Again you are going to see a lot different icons, look for SugarCRM.
4. Click on it and walk through installation instructions
5. You are done and you have the best FREE CRM on the market.
It is always expandable and since so many different companies use it they always create new add addons for what every business you are in. Good luck