Marketing to Seniors

Re: Part D

Superchief said:
Anyone here gearing up for Part D again?

Any tips on how to generate lots of business Nov 15 to Dec 31?

Well I thought that is what was being discussed but the MA is where it starts. The Part D is a 30-50 dollar sale, yea I'm going to gear up for that.

Re: Part D

James said:
Superchief said:
Anyone here gearing up for Part D again?

Any tips on how to generate lots of business Nov 15 to Dec 31?

Well I thought that is what was being discussed but the MA is where it starts. The Part D is a 30-50 dollar sale, yea I'm going to gear up for that.

James,

Don't discount the $50 sale. I used it as a loss leader this past year and took in about $500k in investment dollars. Of course I'd prefer to sell an MA plan over Part D, but if I can get the other sales, I'm willing to take the chance.

I managed to work out a booth at one specific Pharmacy where someone previously dropped the ball. Thankfully this pharmacy is in the middle of Seniorville and should be a goldmine for lead generation.

That's what I like about Part D. While it may be tedious, without the highest commissions, it's a killer lead generator.

If you can learn it forwards and backwards and take time to help a Senior understand it, you'll really earn their trust and have an easy in for other higher paying products. I'm sure most of you already understand this, but it amazes me how many med supp agents don't want to fool with Part D because of the low commissions and tedious work. Those agents are basically giving their clients away in my opinion.

This all can be, but if you're in front of them why not lead off with the MA? Plus last year there seemed to be a bit of a problem with Part D and the government being able to keep up with it. Lost several MA's over the confusion so I decided why risk my MA or other sales for the 50 dollars of the Part D. Now I hope the government has a better way of delivery of the Part D service. I can write it, that is easy enough but if its screwed up I just assume to send them to their pharmacy.

James said:
This all can be, but if you're in front of them why not lead off with the MA?

Well, let's say your prospective client is a retired teacher or government employee (federal or state). They generally have a group medical plan as part of their retirement package. Most of the group medical plans for retirees hiked the premium for those that kept the prescription portion of the plan. That's why they only want part D. To get prescription benefits and reduce their medical premium. And what do these retirees with a pension have, 401k's & 403b's. I'll gladly spend an hour or so with them if I have an opportunity to earn their trust and get a shot at the investment dollars.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the MA. I prefer the med supp. I've truly only seen one MA in my area that I would feel very comfortable offering and that's Scott & White.

However, I am currently investigating Coventry's MA plan.

sman said:
James said:
This all can be, but if you're in front of them why not lead off with the MA?

Well, let's say your prospective client is a retired teacher or government employee (federal or state). They generally have a group medical plan as part of their retirement package. Most of the group medical plans for retirees hiked the premium for those that kept the prescription portion of the plan. That's why they only want part D. To get prescription benefits and reduce their medical premium. And what do these retirees with a pension have, 401k's & 403b's. I'll gladly spend an hour or so with them if I have an opportunity to earn their trust and get a shot at the investment dollars.

I tend not to market to this demographic so I don't run into that many. Even though many of your retired people on Private Group need additional coverage and the MA seems to fit that bill nicely. Then you have those on VA with no other coverage, these people are in great need of the MA, so go down to your local Veteran's Administration and talk to the people there.

This is my "tax season".

PDP Sales - Sure, $35 is low, but it is a lead for other needs. LTC, Annuity, final expense, review their Supp, maybe a MA sale next year.

MA sales - This is my bread and butter. Mind you I am with Humana and have a Wally World booth, seminars, mailers, etc.

Supp Sales - Same as PDP but better comm.

That should keep me busy til April.

In regards to mailers...

What works best? Buy a list & design your own or buy mailers from a lead company?

If designing your own, are they designed to generate phone calls or return mail?

Back